PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Got to shoot my new Mk II BTV 28750 today, couldn't wait.

Joe L
05-25-2014, 04:07 PM
I have a .308 Savage 10 FCP-K that is really a nice shooter. I have an AR. What I didn't have was a 22 rifle. Came across a new one at a good price at a local gun show on Saturday and bought it. Went to the range this morning to shoot it. Went well, here is a video.

http://youtu.be/xY5ZMzpvAII

Will do better next week, with some additions.

Joe

fartsinpublic
05-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Nice!

Will do better next week, with some additions.

They do shoot better with sights added... ;)

What else are you adding on?

Joe L
05-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Ha! Thanks for acknowledging my weak attempt at rimfire humor.

I am going to add a scope for rimfire matches, one with some parallax adjustment, one that will focus down to 15 yards or so.

fartsinpublic
05-26-2014, 01:25 AM
I just mounted a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 EFR (emphasis on the EFR--Extended Focusing Range) on my FV and like it a lot.

On my TRR-SR I use a 6-18x40 AO Barska. I like it a lot too.

Of course, there are more expensive (and a few cheaper) alternatives to choose from, too.

I mainly shoot hoot offhand with those scopes. Steel, silhouette animals, etc.

The only other change/addition to all my Mark II rifles: Apachee Trigger kit. Clean, crisp break, down around 1lb (+/-) if desired. :)

Joe L
05-26-2014, 07:05 AM
FIP--I didn't start looking at scopes until this weekend. Your comments are welcome, especially on the Nikon. I have 1-4 and 2-8 Nikon M-223's for an AR and like them but don't think they would work well on the 22. I need something for the rimfire matches here, but I haven't even looked to see what distances they shoot yet. I have a friend with the same gun that has a Mueller that they like a bunch for the local matches.

The Mk II Accutrigger feels similar to the one on my FCP-K .308 and I like it, but I leave it at a little over 2 lbs so was going to do the same to the 22.

The shots in the video really were the first 5 shots from the gun, out of the box (after checking the bore).

Joe

scope eye
05-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Nice, when I was a yoote I had a 22 that the sights were broken off, and I use to aim down the barrel sorta like a 12 gauge, and got pretty prevalent with it, it was great sight acquisition, and following squirrels that were tapping trees, that Winchester held 18 rounds in the tube that went all the way through the stock, it was a great gun.

Dean

Joe L
05-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Dean, yep, sighting down the barrel would have been better. The barrel was blocked by the two one slot picatinny rail mounts that came on the gun. I tried sighting across the top of those but could only hope on the windage.

Joe

Joe L
05-27-2014, 08:37 PM
I took the bipod and Nikon 2-8x scope off my AR and put them on the little Savage Mk II. This worked well at 50 yards. Very windy day here today, so I am not finished zeroing quite yet. I only shot 100 rounds and tried 5 different ammo types. Fortunately, the gun seems to like the ammo I was able to get for bullseye so I'm OK there. Got to do some more testing.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Mk-II-BTV-22LR-2014/i-Lb78hBP/0/M/Good%2050%20yard%20group%205-27-14-M.jpg

Joe

Joe L
05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
The other things I had to do were to tighten the action bolts and avoid CCI Tactical bulk in the 375 round box. These rounds were a little too long for the magazine.

I also had the lips on the 5 round magazine open up a little, ejecting 5 rounds while it was in my hand. It appears the sides of the magazine are not retained perfectly. I may have to glue or solder the magazine together. I will do a search to see if this has happened to others, and what they did to fix it.

Joe

Joe L
05-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I also had the lips on the 5 round magazine open up a little, ejecting 5 rounds while it was in my hand. It appears the sides of the magazine are not retained perfectly. I may have to glue or solder the magazine together. I will do a search to see if this has happened to others, and what they did to fix it.
Joe

Common problem with the magazines, I peened the tabs and added epoxy on front and rear, complete length. This should fix the magazine. Also ran a brush and a few patches down the bore. Bore feels really good, very smooth. Very happy with this rifle. Mueller scope on the way.

Joe

Joe L
05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Midway got some 5 round Savage Mk II 22LR magazines in and I had them on backorder, so two more on the way. I am going to glue them up before they see a single round.
Joe

Joe L
05-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Went out and shot another 50 rounds through the new Mark II tonight. 10 five shot groups at 50 yards. best about 3/8", worst about 3/4". Norma Tac 22 40 gr. I'm happy. Scope and more magazines on the way.

Joe

Joe L
05-31-2014, 06:37 PM
This rifle is excellent. I put 160 rounds through it today, testing 4 different brands of ammo and then shot two 50 yard IBR targets (I think. 10 ring was 1/2" and there were 25 targets for score and 4 sighters.)

I also shot 21 five shot groups on 1/2" circles on brown paper. Was able to shoot 5 groups of 1/2" or smaller, out of the 21. This was with Norma Tac 22 ammo, which shoots great in this gun. I will shoot the match on Sunday using a bipod and rear bag.

Cold bore shot is consistently 1" left at 50 yards, and moves in to center in just 4 or 5 shots. Once warm, the gun stays centered. I have a Mueller scope on the way, along with a trigger kit and more magazines.

Looking forward to my first monthly club 50 yard rimfire match tomorrow.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Mk-II-BTV-22LR-2014/i-Qzjmn4F/0/M/IMG_1723-M.jpg

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Mk-II-BTV-22LR-2014/i-9xdhQtK/0/M/IMG_1724-M.jpg

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Mk-II-BTV-22LR-2014/i-P5SdSC4/0/M/IMG_1725-M.jpg

Joe

Joe L
06-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Got to shoot a 50 yard USBR type match at our local club on Sunday. Learned a bunch. Gun was perfect, shooter needs experience with these matches.
1. wind was 20-30 mph over three berms right at us, causing about 1/2" elevation rise at the target, then it would swing around to 2 o'clock occasionally, moving the bullet left some. Experienced shooters had trouble with the wind.
2. I need enough magazines so that I can start a target and finish it without leaving the bolt open while loading magazines. leaving the bolt open resulted in the first shot being low left, I assume due to uneven barrel cooling.
3. An 8x AR scope isn't enough for this game.
4. Bipod and rear squeeze bag worked well. I only used 10-12 minutes per target for sighters, loading magazines, shooting for score.
5. Loading the bipod, pull in to the shoulder, and trigger finger position are just as important for consistency with the 22 as they are wiith the .308 in prone at 500 meters.

Joe