PDA

View Full Version : Strange grouping issue

Pages : 1 [2]

chukarmandoo
05-31-2014, 10:46 AM
Get bolts that use a larger hex. Install both bolts (just snug). Bump butt of rifle on floor lightly but firm to move the lug tight to the stock. Then torque the bolts in 15 inch pounds starting with the front screw until you reach 45 or 50 (inch) pounds. Make sure it is floated at the very tip of the stock. I make sure there is a lot of clearance there. Way more than a dollar bill. Especially since the dollar bill has gotten so thin lately (just joking) but it still isn't worth the paper its printed on!

SniperGoat
06-01-2014, 10:55 AM
I sold the rifle yesterday. I've had it long enough to put 360 rounds through it but I just could never get satisfied with it. I'm not happy unless I'm hitting bullseye at 100 every time, and that is expecting to much from an off-the-shelf hunting rifle with a thin sporter barrel. Luckily I found someone that wanted to buy it for hog hunting, so I made him a good deal. From here I'm going to get a heavy barrel bolt rifle and start from scratch again. Maybe a Savage 110FCP with HS Precision stock :-)....or just build a custom Remington 700.

SniperGoat
06-01-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm not necessarily blaming the gun either; it could be the scope, rings, base, or just me :-) Either way I just decided to do something different.

SniperGoat
06-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Well I ordered a new rifle....another Savage :-) This time I'm going with a .308 caliber Savage 10FP with a threaded and fluted heavy barrel with 5R rifling, mounted onto an H&S Precision stock.

landphil
06-07-2014, 01:27 PM
My thought was possibly the barrel nut was a wee bit loose, and the small amount of slop between the barrel and the action threads tightened up as the barrel warmed up.I guess we'll never know now, good luck with the new one.

FW Conch
06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
The barrel nut loose on a factory Savage! That would be the day! :-))

landphil
06-07-2014, 02:01 PM
The barrel nut loose on a factory Savage! That would be the day! :-))

Yup, probably at least a bit far-fetched. Then again, so are the symptoms.

jsthntn247
06-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Try a few types of ammo next time. Since its a 30-06 gest some federal gold medal match ammo and run that through there, it should shoot that well. When handloading you can customize the ammo to the rifle but when buying factory ammo you can't so you have to try a couple different types to see what the rifle wants. Ammo manufacturers use different bullet, powder, and seating depth combo's in their ammo and this makes a huge difference in how it shoots.

drt4lfe
06-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Sounds like barrel needs a certain amount of cooper build up before it starts grouping.....a lot of shooters will clean carbon out of barrel, but do not use cooper solvent until accuracy starts going away....I would bet if you cleaned bore with just an oil and no solvent rifle would remain accurate.....