PDA

View Full Version : Accustock Spacer, Washer for front action screw????

Dusty
03-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone, I am brand new and just picked up my first Savage. I bought a 116 FHSS in 7mm magnum with the accustock and accutrigger. After returning home with the gun I took off the stock to have a look inside and to adjust the accutrigger at the same time. After exploring the gun I proceeded to put it back together. I got out the instruction manual and on page 31 there is a description of how to put the accustock back on the gun. Step number 2 of the reassembly says to be sure the washer is on the front action screw.....I did read the manual before I disassembled the gun to have a mental checklist of what is supposed to be there. When I disassembled the gun I did not find a washer on this action screw. In addition to this, on page 36 of my manual there is a schematic of the accustock that shows a spacer where the rear action screw goes. I did not find a spacer on my gun either. I disassembled this gun on a white tile floor and would have heard or could have easily seen if a washer or spacer fell out when I took the stock off. I just can imagine the gun coming from the factory without those two parts if they were supposed to be there. Am I missing something here and maybe this gun does not have those two parts or did the factory just fail to put them in? If anyone can shed any light on this issue I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

sharpshooter
03-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Your rifle does not use the spacer. The only rifles that use this spacer are the non-accustock rifles with the hinged floorplate. The spacer goes between the front trigger guard screw and the hinged floorplate frame. The accustock rifles have the bolt release botton built into the trigger guard and it makes the trigger guard thicker in the front than a standard trigger guard. The hinged floorplate frame is notched out deeper for the thicker trigger guard so when they are over layed, the trigger guard is flush. For the standard trigger guard and side bolt release, the spacer takes up the space.

Dusty
03-27-2010, 02:04 AM
That is so weird, in the manual there is a drawing of the accustock, it is labled accustock, only drawing on the page. It clearly has a part number 18H that is labled "spacer (accustock)". It is right where you were describing it to be on the non accustock guns, at the front of the trigger guard, it shows it going up into the aluminum bedding block where the bolt goes through?? Do you think this was a mistake in the manual? I know for sure it was not there when I took it apart. I am careful about those things. How about the washer for the front action screw? Do you know anythng about this? I did not have one on the front action screw when I took stock off gun. Thanks for the reply, I am sitting on pins and needles thinking that I am missing parts out of the gun and am not going to be able to shoot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharpshooter
03-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Some guns used a washer on the front action screw to shim the magazine frame to the correct height. This washer would go between the magazine frame and the stock pillar. The hinged floorplate models don't use this, just the DBM versions. It is critical on the height of the mag frame to get the magazine to lock ito place correctly.

rjtfroggy
03-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Dusty Savage makes thousands of rifles but only prints up one manual. Kind of like one size fits all, and you have to figure out which one fits yours. If you are positive you lost no parts then they probably were not there because they are not needed.
Take Sharpshooters advice and shoot and enjoy.

Dusty
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I will do that, no worries, thanks for the information.