PDA

View Full Version : Shilen DGR

Yoshi
05-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Anyone have experience with one? (http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html)

Would seem like a good action due to:
"1. Savage (small shank) thread pitch to accept any of the pre fits out there.
2. Savage barrel nut system so I don't have to add $300 to the cost of a new barrel to have it installed by a smith.
3. Floating bolt heads that interchange from .223 case family to 308/30-06 case family to 300WM case family to 338 Norma/Lapua case family (PT&G makes all of these bolt heads for sale to the public). I cant verify this.
4. Remington footprint so the stock options are almost endless."
(*Taken from post on Sniper's Hide)

FW Conch
05-24-2014, 08:49 PM
So it's like a "Savington"? ;-))

foxx
05-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Looks nice. Sure as heck outta my league.

Yoshi
05-24-2014, 09:24 PM
So it's like a "Savington"? ;-))

;) Or a "Remage".

barrel-nut
05-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Actually, it's a Shil-age.
I don't have one, but wish that I did. Maybe someday. Don't forget, another advantage is different (better?) trigger options than a Savage. I'm not positive but pretty sure they're compatible with Remington-style triggers. I'm thinking the DGV single-shot with a Jewell trigger would be a sweet rig.
Another thing, is the scope mounting holes are 8-40 instead of the smaller 6-48 that Savage and most other factory rifles use.

Yoshi
05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
What's the possibility of making something like this a switch barrel like the Accuracy International AT?

SKami
05-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm interested in these to possibly build a hunter class bench gun, they seem to fit the criteria. If anyone has an opinion or experience-please share.

barrel-nut
05-30-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm interested in these to possibly build a hunter class bench gun, they seem to fit the criteria. If anyone has an opinion or experience-please share.

I'm very interested in this too. If anyone has done it successfully I'd love to hear about it. Honestly, this could be the topic of a whole separate thread, but I've kinda given in to the idea that the best, most economically sound way to get into the short range game is to just buy a good used benchrest rifle with one of the proven actions, like a Farley, BAT, etc, in the sub-$2000 range, and rebarrel it later if necessary. I know this is arguable, and runs contrary to our obsession with DIY-gunsmithing. But I'd hate to lay out $2000+ for a Shilen action, Jewell trigger, custom barrel, and benchrest- style stock, only to find that it's not quite competitive with the full customs.

frank1947
05-30-2014, 01:51 AM
I have one, and it's great, just as good as any other, the action is made by Jerry Stiller, and the bolt assembly by PTG, it drops right into to a /rem 700 stock, there is a bit difference , not much in the thread of action and barrel, read at shilen there thread on action vs thread on savage small shank.

RevM
05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Frank, the question that begs to be answered is are the bolt heads PTG's regular savage heads (meaning could you drop in a factory Savage head) or are they not compatible?

missed
05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Frank, the question that begs to be answered is are the bolt heads PTG's regular savage heads (meaning could you drop in a factory Savage head) or are they not compatible?

If I remember correctly they are not. I have looked seriously about getting a DGR.