PDA

View Full Version : Which 6.5 creedmoor would be best fit

Tjw86
05-24-2014, 06:27 PM
I am looking to purchase one of the three following Savage 6.5 creedmoor: 12 LRP...16 Weather Warrior...or the 10 Hunter Predator Max 1.

i want to use it exclusively for target shooting, primarily from prone position, but also occasionally from a bench and using a sling in sitting, kneeling, and standing. Accuracy is important. I also don't want a barrel that I have to sit around waiting for it to cool down during my shooting sessions. Weight is always an issue at least to some extent, but not necessarily at the top of the list. The three seem to be within about $175 difference from min to max, and the max LRP has a HS Precision stock, while the others have accustock. I don't see the type/contour of barrels on the Savage website for the three models. All have accutriggers, 4 round DBM, and 1:8 twist. The biggest differences I can see on the limited specs I found aside from the obvious HS precision stock, are the barrel lengths (22" for the model 16, 24" for the model 10, and 26" for the LRP), and the weights from 6.9 lbs and 8.5lbs for the models 16 and 10 respectively, and 11lbs for the LRP.

I would sincerely appreciate feedback, pros, cons, suggestions, things i am overlooking, and advice from those who have used any of these models.

Thanks.

wbm
05-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Primarily from prone? LRP. With the Creedmoor you will want a 26" barrel to get full potential from it.

bflee
05-26-2014, 08:52 PM
i have the LRP and it is a great long range gun. I target shoot and hunt with it. It is no hiking gun though! It weighs 15 pounds with my Vortex scope and bipod. I box hunt or long range field hunt so it doesnt bother me. I have thought about buying a lightweight hunter just for a hunter because I love the cartridge. I havnt shot my 308 in over a year.

chukarmandoo
05-27-2014, 01:44 AM
The LRP has the target action and the target trigger, dbm, and better stock. Oh, and a 26" barrel.

Klondike
06-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Wow - something I can weigh in on. I have the predator hunter max 1 in 6.5 x 284. It is a great shooter - but I have to work around its limitations.

If I did it over again I would get the 6.5 CM LRP. The HS precision stock is FAR superior to the max 1 accustock - much more rigid front end which causes shot elevation with a bipod or forward rest.

The LRP is $80 more but the target action and rigid stock are worth it.

My predator max, when not putting pressure on the fore-end, shoots .75 groups at 200 yard zero. It is an awesome gun but I would pick the LRP in a do over.

One last tidbit on at least my gun - use a good copper cleaner and check bore fouling. My 6.5 is awesome but early on it needed copper cleaning. After 200 round all good.

D.ID
06-18-2014, 11:30 PM
I have found the extra weight aids in acquiring stability rapidly and therefor even for positional shooting........ heavier is better.
Of course that's coming from a guy that thinks 13lbs is optimal for a steep country hunting rifle so judge my opinion accordingly.

bflee
06-19-2014, 02:16 AM
My 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor with Vortex 6-24x50 and bipod weighs about 15 pounds. I mostly box stand hunt so it doesnt bother me alot. It is astounding to me what it has done for my long range shooting. I would not hesitate to shoot a whitetail at 600 yards with it. I can consistantly shoot sub moa up to 700 and I only say 700 because that is the longest range I can find around my house. I have been shooting at targets at 550 and deer walked between me and the target. I have gained alot of confidence with my skills with it also. You cant go wrong with the LRP in my opinion.

Jaxn
06-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I use 12LRP in 6.5 CM and I love this rifle. It is accurate beyond my current capabilities and I look forward to stepping up. I bought it for LR competitions and just for fun.

sav250
06-28-2014, 04:31 PM
If the long barrel is the best to address the original specifications to the Creed then by no means give up barrel length to bring out the zip capable. I am a .264 Win Mag lover. I don't care about the downfalls of a cartridge. I care about its optimum performance with the optimum barrel length. If I have a cartridge in a short barrel (like the .223 in an M4) I am feeling I am in the twilight zone and need a gas check.

I have a .264 Featherweight with a 22" barrel and I say to the negative hype about barrel shortness "show me a .270 or something that will shoot as hard as this .264 in its 22" barrel USING A 22" Barrel and I will start to listen to you.

On the other hand having the hot cartridge like the .264 in a 22" and 26" (me) I say the .264 is among the deadliest accurate among contenders similar. Just make sure the barrel lengths of the competition are the same lengths as 22 and 26 for my two lovely 70s; one from 1962 and the other from 2012 Fabrique Nationale.

GaCop
07-12-2014, 10:53 AM
The LRP gets my vote....

SKIPRO
08-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Yes, I found the exact thing with my LRP 6.5.

SKami
08-23-2014, 02:55 PM
.260 LRP with Berger 140's and you can't go wrong! If you get a good barrel, you will love it!

basshawg42
08-29-2014, 10:35 AM
You said you may be doing some standing if so the LRP is not for you it is way to heavy, mine is 13.6 lbs with burris scope. I did but my son a predator max in the 6.5 creedmore and it also shoots lights out. The target rifles come with a 8 oz accutrigger and the heavy barrel varmit rifles have a 1.5 lbs and regular are 2.5. my sister has the lady hunter in the 6.5 that I much rather the varmit trigger. if I was you I would go with the predator max.

LongRange
08-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Personally id go 260 because theres because as far as reloading there are a lot more options for brass and a 65CM has the same ballistics as the 260.