PDA

View Full Version : EGW Base - Educate Me Please

archerben
05-23-2014, 06:25 PM
I see a lot of people on the sight using the EGW 1 piece picatiny scope base. Why is it so popular and what are the advantages of it over the leupold 2 piece bases I've been using?

n4ue
05-24-2014, 02:23 AM
archerben, welcome. All of my rifles have been converted to either the EGW one piece or the Weaver one piece bases. The EGW is taller which might help with some large objective scopes. I always strive to get the scope as close to the bbl as possible. The fact that you have many more places to attach the rings to the scope is a huge +.
In my particular case, I have a lot of rifles and a lot of 'spare scopes'. Each spare scope has a set of rings attached. Call it a sickness, but since we have no prairie dogs, or even ground hogs here in Florida, swapping scopes keeps me entertained at the range. ha ha

ron

1983Weatherby
05-24-2014, 04:06 AM
I am using a vortex scope and it requires you to be aligned up properly or else you get a weird black ring around the scope objective when looking through it. It's very picky in that aspect. My leupold base and ring setup won't allow me to bring the scope back far enough to get a good view. So I need to go to a 1 piece base to get the scope where I need it. It basically gives you more options for mounting the scope location.

ywhic
05-24-2014, 12:46 PM
I went with Weaver one-piece for $37 (Amzn) only because finding EGW 20moa bases in stock is/was a PITA..

archerben
05-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm currently working on a 6.5x284 build, and I'm leaning towards trying the EGW 0 Moa base. I will be topping it with Burris signature zee rings and a Vortex Viper HSLR scope. Since I can get 800+ yards with one revolution of the turret, I see no need to go with the 20MOA base.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-27-2014, 05:57 AM
the 20 moa base probably isnt needed in most cases, but if you were going to swap calibers or scopes later on that action it could be a 'buy once, cry once' thing.

DrThunder88
05-27-2014, 07:02 AM
I think the theory behind it is that, after cranking the elevation for longer ranges, the center of the image is being carried more by the outer edges of the lenses, which are prone to distortion or transmitting less light or some such. Maybe it's just a scam to sell angled risers.

I've got EGWs on all of my Savages, now that I think about it. I was looking for more adjustment for scope mounting when I got my Axises and just kept on getting EGWs because I'd find them on sale and they were a known quantity.