PDA

View Full Version : School Me!

Scooter
05-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Hey guys and gals, this year I added a Savage 111TH XP 300win mag to my collection and was hoping I could get a quick rundown on this such as, known problems/fixes...perferred ammunition...and of course common upgrades. I would really like a quality stock and perhaps a larger magazine. So far I'm really liking the Nikon BDC, so I'll keep that for awhile.

Thanks guys I'll continue to do my research to get better acquainted.

foxx
05-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Nice gun "as is". Up grading the stock is a little tricky with the TH. Unless you have one with detachable "bottom metal" (the frame surrounding the mag), you'll have to buy it from Savage directly before getting a new stock.

If you do, Boyds has nice wood laminates and solid walnuts for around $100. I've been real happy with the "Classic", and "Tacticool". Wish I had the "Prairie Hunter" as well.

Not sure if anyone has good composite stocks for them. Might try Sharp Shooter Supply or Northland Shooter Supply or Stockys.

Don't think you can get a larger mag for that style. What you have is a cheap, somewhat functional hunting DBM that really won't work with any larger mags.

As is, there's no real problems with the TH. With hand loads, you should be able to get 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds. Don't know about factory stuff, but any quality ammo should get you 1 inch or better.

Most people find Savage factory barrels shoot better after 5 fouling rounds. Lot of debate out there as to why, but in my book it doesn't matter. It just does. :)
They also seem to settle down a bit after 100 rounds or so are shot through them.

I am sure others will weigh-in as well.

Good luck, and welcome to the "Brotherhood."

cttb
05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Upgrade your scope mounts and rings if your groups are big or squirrelly. Based on my own experience, I would upgrade before firing the first shot, especially with a .300 wm.

Scooter
05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the information.

Yes my rifle has the 3 round metal frame mag. So that's good news because my stock is very flimsy...And 100 bucks seems like a great deal!

Cttb: Your absolutely right about the rings, they constantly come loose even after applying loctite. Do you have a specific brand to recommend? Perhaps a link to a good quality set?

Again, I appreciate the tips guys

jonbearman
05-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts,they hold solid and don't mark the scope up.

ChicagoJoe
05-24-2014, 06:34 PM
I bought a TH and immediately replaced the factory rings with Talley lightweight medium-height rings.

cttb
05-24-2014, 08:52 PM
I went with DNZ Gamereaper. So far, I'm pleased. My groups immediately tightened up.