PDA

View Full Version : New Critereon barrel....

Rotorhead19
05-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Just got my new Critereon barrel in after a 4 month wait and have never built a rifle from the ground up. I know i need head spacing and I need to buy a tool for that but am unsure as to how to go about it. Its for a Savage 300 WM, model 110. I also have a Choate tactical stock that I am putting it all on. Currently I am drilling/cutting out the mag well / surrounding area to accept the lower receiver and magazine. Any info to help me with this scratch build would be greatly appreciated.

452b300
05-22-2014, 09:01 PM
You will need a barrel wrench and an action wrench or a good barrel vise, and a set of head space gauges. Its a piece of cake.

Tokimini
05-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Go on Midway USA or Brownells and search for a 300 WM go gauge. Since you've never head spaced a rifle before you should also get the 300 WM no go gauge. There are some good videos on You Tube that show their proper use on a Savage.

Rotorhead19
05-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the insight. Anything else I should be looking at as far as the barrel and build go? I am an Armament Dog in the Army for the OH-58 ( I work on the weapon systems including our .50 cal) so I am very used to doing this sort of thing...but just on big guns.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-22-2014, 11:10 PM
headspacing a savage and headspacing ma deuce are pretty similar, the barrel screws in to tighten it, and out to relieve it. then you hold the barrel and action still and tighten the savage nut. no worries about timing the savage though... ;-)

Londerko
05-23-2014, 01:04 AM
What contour did you go with? And length? Just curious, I have a savage 110 in 300wm that I am considering putting a shilen, criterion or McGowan barrel on. I'm building a long range hunting rifle so I'm looking at the magnum or heavy sporter contours.
I would love to here a range report once you have it all done.