PDA

View Full Version : what barrel shank for the precision target action?

mikets
05-22-2014, 07:15 PM
I have just received a new savage target action (308 bolt, single shot right port only) It is destined to become my Silhouette Hi Power rifle. After reading countless descriptions of rifle builds on this
and other forums, and many descriptions of replacing a savage "drop in" barrel, I am completely confused as to what barrel shank I need to order. Some post state the target action is Large Shank, others sounding just as authoritative say it is a Small Shank. The info at McGowan barrels states a shank size of 1.06 is a small shank, but a 5/8s long barrel nut indicates a large shank. Well my action is both of those. So my question is ,just what do I order, small shank or large shank, extra descriptions like standard shank are thrown around also with no indication what is standard. This is my first excursion into the world of Savage, and I am looking to end up with a terrific rifle, but right now I need some solid knowledgeable advice. The barrel will end up a .308 in a configuration that will get me somewhere between 22 to 24 inches and approximately 4 lbs. Thanks in advance for the help.

bootsmcguire
05-22-2014, 07:45 PM
The PTA's are Large Shank.

When you measure the threads, (1.055" dia for small shank and 1.120" for large shank) those measurements are for the OD of the male threads on the barrel (aka-thread major diameter). Since you have a bare action you have the female threads and by measuring the inside of the action you are measuring the Minor diameter. If you add the thread depth to that measurement you will get the 1.120" of a large shank.

Dennis
05-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Standard and Small shank are one in the same.

Dennis

mikets
05-28-2014, 09:29 PM
bootsmcguire and Dennis, thanks for the reply, Ive got it straight and now have a shilen barrel ordered from NSS. Also thanks to Jim at NSS for the help on the order. I will let you know in 4 or 5 months how it turned out.