PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug issue

BigDog
03-26-2010, 02:21 AM
I got a Savage target action and had a surprise when I tried to put the barrel on it. The recoil lug would not fit over the barrel. The nut and the action fit just fine. I contacted Savage and they sent me a new recoil lug and it would not fit on the barrel either. They are both for the larger action but they are just a little too small to go over the threads. Has anyone else had this problem? The barrel is from Benchmark so it is from a good barrel maker and everything else goes together just fine so I know that it is the lug. My gunsmith said that it would cost about a $100 to set up a jig, get a bit and drill it out. He suggested taking a round file to it but I think that I should be able to get a lug that fits it correctly when I paid for the target action, from Savage. Has anyone else had this problem?

sharpshooter
03-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Your barrel is too big. The threaded portion should measure 1.120". Easy fix, just roll a file around it to knock the sharp crest off the threads.

BigDog
03-27-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm afraid to ruin my threads. :o I will see if I can get some emery cloth to run over it. Thanks for the suggestion. I have never had this issue with a barrel before.

dcloco
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM
No...not sandpaper. You need to keep the threads flat and round at the same time. SSS is, of course, spot on with his advice.

BigDog
03-27-2010, 01:34 PM
OK thanks for the information, this is all new to me. The other 2 barrels I put in did not have this issue. The barrel nut and action go on just fine now.