PDA

View Full Version : Axis rebarrel question

upSLIDEdown
05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
You guys that rebarreled an Axis, LoneWolf, Elgin maybe? Anyone else?

Are you still using the OEM recoil lug setup? My stock is already bedded, with the OEM recoil lug bedded into the bedding job. I've read some people mill the front of the action back til it's flush and use a regular Savage recoil lug. This would let me use a precision ground lug, but would mean rebedding the action, at least the recoil lug section, and probably a skim bed throughout to make sure it's all smooth. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

DrThunder88
05-22-2014, 03:28 AM
I used the integral lug on the Boyd's stock for my rebarrel project. I bedded up to the lug and tried to float the barrel over the top face of it.

I've not heard of people milling off the front of an Axis receiver. It occurred to me, but I suspect it's as necessarily precise an operation as truing the face of a Remington 700 receiver and, therefore, beyond my capacity!

LoneWolf
05-22-2014, 04:17 AM
Still using the stanard factory lug in mine, but I did permanently bed it into my stock with Devcon. I feel with it permanently bedded there that it is a much more solid set up than the 2 pieces being able to move at all under recoil.

upSLIDEdown
05-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Yeah, bedded mine into the stock as well. I used JB Weld instead of Devcon, but it's definitely permanently in there. Gonna try to put up a build thread at some point with the stages of the rifle.