PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my McGowen

Pages : 1 [2]

03-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey, at least I didn't ask which was better Savage or Rem!! ;)

I do appreciate all the info. I have been shooting just for fun and hunting for 20 years, and just now finding myself really wanting to learn how to shoot correctly and shoot well. This will help quite a bit I am sure, if the equipment isn't in prime shape the shooting will reflect that, so here's hoping!!

desertdog
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
jb all the way!! have a bore scope. no problems here!! i don't use it all the time. but i do use when i need it. 8) dd

borg
04-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Butch's Bore Shine reeks of ammonia. I am not entirely unfamiliar with chemical odors. If it doesn't contain ammonia, I am shocked.

Edit: Googled. It contains ammonia.

Googled again. Hoppe's contains nitromethane. I don't know whether or not to trust the source, but it may have once contained nitrobenzene. That would make sense.

Dennis
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Just cleaned my McGowen 6.5x47L barrel with Butch's Bore shine. Only took about 20 patches, but the last three were spotless. I am breaking the barrel and I will settle down on the cleaning. After two good soaks and waiting about 5 minutes, I ran about 3 or 4 patches through and got a little blue on them, I am using RL15 and I spent more time getting the powder out vs copper.

Deserthunter
04-21-2010, 11:50 PM
I still use Hoppe's, no I don't clean with it, I just open the bottle and remember the smell from 40 years ago.....

As for my McGowen 6.5x47Lapua, It simply doesn't need alot....

MDM
04-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Anyone use WipeOut foaming bore cleaner? Usually, one good soak after the barrel is broke in will remove everything, and this is with no brushing.