PDA

View Full Version : Axis Heavy Barrel is real... Just an fyi

Pages : 1 [2]

homer76
05-30-2014, 03:45 PM
What difference would it make as to the barrel twist? You won't be reloading it.

Really??? Why won't I reload seeing as I hardly ever shoot factory and roll my own? Would you care to elaborate? Even if I didn't reload it would be nice to have ammunition that works best for that particular barrel twist.

brfussell
05-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Homer, if you get one soon, I would love to hear a first hand review. I will probably not be picking one up till August.

homer76
05-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Homer, if you get one soon, I would love to hear a first hand review. I will probably not be picking one up till August.

You guys will be able to get them before me. It will be a little while before any show up in Canada. I am very interested in getting one in .223 and getting a Boyd's stock

Rooster 50
05-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Really??? Why won't I reload seeing as I hardly ever shoot factory and roll my own? Would you care to elaborate? Even if I didn't reload it would be nice to have ammunition that works best for that particular barrel twist.

I am really sorry I got this thread mixed up with the HB BMag thread. Hope you will accept my apology and then see if you can get that big knot out of your panties.

homer76
05-30-2014, 11:51 PM
I am really sorry I got this thread mixed up with the HB BMag thread. Hope you will accept my apology and then see if you can get that big knot out of your panties.

Wow. That's one of the most backhanded apologies I have ever seen....

Rooster 50
05-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Oh well you are after all in Canada.........it's a really long way to go to kick somebody's butt over a lame apology!

I'll take my chances...

n4ue
05-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Gee, I was kinda surprised to see the HB Axis show up. You guys are sharp.

I have a lot of the Axis models and since we are fortunate (or unfortunate) not to have a lot of varmints here in Florida, I don't shoot that many rounds at a time.

One thing that IS strange, is the lack of the Accu-trigger. That doesn't bother me, since all my modified Axis triggers feel better than my Accu-trigger M12s, etc. Marketing 'idea'.......??

ron

LoneWolf
05-31-2014, 02:30 PM
keeps the cost down. Heavy Barrel Models cost more as well as models with accu-triggers. Both upgrades would probably put the Axis more in the model 10 cost range and then there wouldn't be a point to getting an Axis HB.

brfussell
05-31-2014, 03:26 PM
The best price I have seen on the Axis HB is $316. This is through Gallery of Guns to my local dealer. Unless I find a used model 10 locally at a reasonable price, I will pick one up later in the summer.

n4ue
06-06-2014, 05:36 PM
OK, trying to buy a new HB Axis......
Yes, I know they are all over the web. However, I love my "not so local gun store". Know the owner/gunsmith and he's a great guy. I just prefer to buy locally, although I have purchased several rifles off the internet last year... (he just couldn't get what I wanted)

Check this out.... I walk in and had the print-out from the Savage web site with the P/N, picture etc.
Owner's son gets on the phone and calls his supplier.
I'm standing back listening to the phone conversation. I still have good ears... ha ha

After several tries of giving her the model #, he's getting pissed. He starts talking slower and louder to the supplier. He describes the rifle in agonizing detail. He might have been speaking Latin... He gives up, She (the supplier) has NO clue and obviously doesn't care.....
He tries supplier #2. Yes, they know about them, but only have 223, 22-250, and 308. NO 243, which is what I want.
The nice young man takes my info and apologizes saying he'll find one. Called an hour later and I have a 243 on the way........

I already own 2 other 243s. One a M700 Rem Varmint Special, which is waaaaay to heavy to lug around (custom laminated stock, etc). The other is a Ruger American which also shoots excellent.
Don't care about the Accu Trigger. I've got my new parts just waiting to install, just like my other 6 Axis rifles........

Life is a journey. Just frustrating when you want to help the economy and can't. ha ha

ron

brfussell
06-06-2014, 11:49 PM
I look forward to hearing your review and hopefully pictures.

n4ue
06-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi. Picked up my new Axis HB today. Caliber 243 win. Hope to shoot it later in the week, this is just an FWIW:

- nice fat bbl. measures .750" at the muzzle
- fit/finish, typical Axis
- trigger....this deserves a sentence or two..... I have a very nice Hunter spring gage that was calibrated just before I came to own it. Out of the box, the trigger broke consistently at 6.5 pounds. Yeow!!!!

As soon as I fire 5-10 rounds through it, I'm going to pull the bbl and rechamber it to 243 AI. At that time I'll install one of my "$1 target trigger" mods to it.
This has been discussed here many times and every Axis I own has it and as I have stated many times, both my shooting buddies (and myself) prefer it to my Accutrigger rifles.

I'll start with a Primary Arms 4-16 and go from there......

Gotta go make some tooling for this new bbl size for the lathe....

ron

brfussell
06-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks Ron. Post a picture or two and a range report when you can.

n4ue
06-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Just a quick update... I shot it today, my shooting bench is still at the 50 yard mark. I put on the PA 4-16 scope which came off a beautiful M12 in 22-250. I used a Weaver one piece rail, which I have put on all my Savage rifles. Just grabbed some reloads used in my other 243s.
Looking through the bore the target looked 'close enuf' and first shot was 2" right, 1" low. I was surprised. I used 3 shots to get on center and the last 2 for 'group'... They almost touched. Not that this is 'special', BUT, I had forgot to bring my rear sandbag and had to use my fist. I have a RCBS front tripod, but I have come to use bipods on all my rifles. This combined with the stock trigger is kinda amazing. Every time I pulled (or tried to pull) the trigger, I swore the gun was on 'safe'. It's that bad!
Going to shoot it maybe 10 more times and pull the bbl, and work on that poor excuse for a trigger.
One thing...I'll bet you could drop the rifle out of a plane with the safety off and it wouldn't fire!!! ha ha

ron