PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 308 Headspace Question

tomcat030
05-19-2014, 01:10 PM
So I have a new to me Savage 10 in 308. I took it out for the first time today. My plan was to get on paper with some Tula and then fine tune with some brass cased ammo. I was on paper, looking great, and walking it in when the shot sounded duller than the ones before. The case failed to extract and I noticed the extractor parts on the table after I opened the bolt. Once I tapped the case out with a cleaning rod I found a rupture on the base. It was perfectly in line with the deepest part of the rim about a 1/3 of the way around. I was able to recover the extractor and spring but the detent rolled away.

I want to hope that it is just a case failure due to steel cased ammo. Running a headspace gauge in it will put me at ease. There are no visible cracks or distress to the bolt face, extractor, or chamber.

Does anyone in the Sarasota, Fl area have a set I could borrow?

FW Conch
05-19-2014, 03:01 PM
I would be more inclined to think the "Tula" is off, rather than the chamber? ;-((

Texas Solo
05-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Ditto.
Tula is bad mojo for rifles. I shot it once in a beater AR15 I had. Got through about 16 rounds of a 20 rd mag and got a stuck case. That had NEVER happened to me before. It wasn't a rifle failure, it was an ammo failure. I scrubbed the chamber and went back to brass ammo for the rest of the day without a single failure.

tomcat030
05-29-2014, 10:53 PM
So I contacted Savage and was out $12 for the new parts. I also contacted Tula. They offered to cover the ammo, parts, and any smith costs. The new parts are back in the gun and the check from Tula just got here. Now back to the range with some brass cased ammo!

foxx
05-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Well, I guess you gotta give Tula credit for stepping up to the pate and covering it for you. They have their place, I guess.

frank1947
05-30-2014, 01:58 AM
I have never ever shot any steel case stuff in any of my guns, just not a good idea.

tomcat030
05-30-2014, 07:17 AM
I run their .223 in my ar. I have never had an issue. I figured that since it was a bolt gun it should be fine. I plan on still using it in my ar. However, it will most likely be a very long time before I shoot that half box of 308 I have left.

fgw_in_fla
05-30-2014, 07:52 AM
For what it's worth to ya, I won't even use Tula in my AK's.
The few times I tried it, it was nothing but trouble. Even the one box of .380 I bought 2 years ago - fired 5 rounds, the 6th split the case and made a mess of my 'ol lady's pistol.
I tossed the rest of the box in the scrap barrel at the local range.

I'd throw rocks before I buy another round of Tula ammo.

emtrescue6
05-30-2014, 03:02 PM
I've shot a little steel cased 9mm now and then but I would never, never, never run steel cased ammo in any of my rifles and never in my AR's....just not a good idea IMHO....like everyone else, the ammo was most likely the cause of the mess.

short round
05-30-2014, 08:37 PM
I was at range this week, shooting at bench when something hit me in the shoulder & a rifle two bench's away did not sound right. Upon investigating, found I had been hit by magazine spring & follower. FN FAL had case head separation, magazine was twice as large at bottom compared to top, Tula berdan primer, steel case, new, just bought that day.