PDA

View Full Version : Primer pocket cleaning

Cat 64
05-18-2014, 09:39 PM
I am sure this theme has been debated many a times (if there is a link to a thread you know please gently guide me there). I am wondering if you guys can state the benefit resulted for cleaning the primer pocket. I have done much reading and I found many opposing philosophies. Even a few savvy competition shooters have stated they do not clean the primer pocket. I would really appreciate if your answer is anchored in factual data rather than opinion. Thank you.

deerandduck
05-18-2014, 09:59 PM
I used to be very religious about cleaning the primer pocket each & every time I reloaded. Then I got tired of doing it....

Now I do not clean them at all. And I have not noticed a measurable difference in accuracy groups. I shot many calibers and it holds true for all of them.

I have a buddy that shoots Camp Perry and even has placed in some of the civilian events, and he never does.

thanks,
Deerandduck

clovishound
05-18-2014, 10:07 PM
I usually clean primer pockets, but I quit cleaning cases a while back. Haven't noticed anything other than my cases don't look as nice. I might start following suit with the primer pockets. I have found that a quick couple stabs with a toothbrush works almost as well as the primer pocket cleaner.

Cat 64
05-18-2014, 10:24 PM
I used to be very religious about cleaning the primer pocket each & every time I reloaded. Then I got tired of doing it....

Now I do not clean them at all. And I have not noticed a measurable difference in accuracy groups. I shot many calibers and it holds true for all of them.

I have a buddy that shoots Camp Perry and even has placed in some of the civilian events, and he never does.

thanks,
Deerandduck

See...this is what I am trying to emphasize exactly. Wow...thank you.

nso123
05-18-2014, 11:30 PM
I usually clean primer pockets, but I quit cleaning cases a while back. Haven't noticed anything other than my cases don't look as nice. I might start following suit with the primer pockets. I have found that a quick couple stabs with a toothbrush works almost as well as the primer pocket cleaner.

Your dies will not be your friend if you don't clean that brass.

Now, for the OP: If you tumble in stainless media your pockets will be cleaned in the tumbling process. If you use regular media tumbling, I don't see why you would not take the 2 seconds per round that it takes to clean the primer pocket with a cleaning tool. The idea of creating accurate ammunition involves consistency and repeatability. If you never clean your primer pockets, doesn't it stand to change the primer pocket after every round in terms of seating depth for the primer? May be nothing at all, but I like to start my loads with a clean, happy piece of brass.

clovishound
05-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Your dies will not be your friend if you don't clean that brass.

Well, I lube my rifle cases, and my handgun dies are carbide, so I'm not too worried. I like nice clean shiny cases, but not enough to spend the time and hassle on getting them that way. I've always cleaned my primer pockets, just to make sure I get properly seated primers. I may rethink that after seeing how many reloaders don't. I probably will still do it on my rifle calibers. I tend to be a lot pickier about the process with rifle cartridges. For example, I weigh every rifle charge. With the handguns I just weigh every 5th or 10th charge, depending on how consistent everything is looking. Most of this is driven by the volume I am loading between rifle and handgun.

LoneWolf
05-19-2014, 08:08 AM
I just mount my primer pocket cleaner in a drill and give each piece of brass a quick spin. Then I verify that the primer hole is clear and free of debris. I have not invested in a tumblr yet and normally hand toss my brass with dish soap and warm water and let them try on a paper towel over night after a thorough rinse.

Maybe it doesn't change the way they shoot, but it keeps your dies from getting gummed up and having to spend a lot of time cleaning your dies out. I think some of the views of reloading are just people praying for more accurate ammunition. It's the way they learned it or the way they did it the first time that they got a good accurate load. They just don't want to jinx it after that!

Cat 64
05-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Ok...another question somewhat in the same category then...what lube is the best such that you don't have to wash/tumble/dry/wipe....or whatever...the cases after you run them through the die. I use the One Shot but after I run them in the tumbler again. Just started shooting my 6 BR and after running the cases in the tumbler the flush hole gets stuck with media.

BillPa
05-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Ok...another question somewhat in the same category then...what lube is the best such that you don't have to wash/tumble/dry/wipe....or whatever.

I been using Imperial for as long as I can remember which at my age is about 10 minutes! :p You use so little of it a can will last a loooog time. I'm on my second can since the late '60s. I apply it as they say "sparingly", size, load then wipe the ammo with a cloth before it goes into the box. No mess, no fuss, and no need to re-clean the brass to remove it.

Bill

Cat 64
05-19-2014, 12:54 PM
I been using Imperial for as long as I can remember which at my age is about 10 minutes! :p You use so little of it a can will last a loooog time. I'm on my second can since the late '60s. I apply it as they say "sparingly", size, load then wipe the ammo with a cloth before it goes into the box. No mess, no fuss, and no need to re-clean the brass to remove it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Never had any trouble with grease going in the mouth of the case and then if not cleaned I guess, powder sticks to it when poured?

nso123
05-19-2014, 01:52 PM
X2 on Imperial.

BillPa
05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks Bill. Never had any trouble with grease going in the mouth of the case and then if not cleaned I guess, powder sticks to it when poured?

It sure will!

I never bother lubing the necks, inside or out, only the bodies to the shoulder. I roll the brass across the pad then straight to the die. If I have to beat on the press handle to get the expander back through the necks its time to anneal them.

Bill