PDA

View Full Version : LRP recoil lug

243LPR
05-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Just pulled the barrel off my LRP,new McGowen shipping tomorrow. When I removed the recoil lug I noticed it did not have the indexing pin. I'd like to reuse it since the stock is already bedded for it but how will I keep it from turning when installing the barrel? It almost looks like a PTG w/parallel sides. The other lg shank lug I have has the pin but looks like a regular tapered one. It's also longer on the bottom so if I have to use it I'll have to hog out the bedding and start over. Any thoughts?

drybean
05-18-2014, 09:40 PM
PT&G makes tools to hold lugs in place when installing barrels

the Ranger
05-19-2014, 02:59 PM
I noticed the lug on my new 116 also did not have a tab or pin. I put it back together with a PTG lug, they only have a hole drilled in the lug so I inserted a roll pin. you could have marked the position of the slot on the lug before taking it apart and then drilled it to add a pin, I suppose. maybe you still could.

as a side note I will say that I wasn't real happy that the PTG lug doesn't match up with the diameter of the savage action and barrel nut.

243LPR
05-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Good idea. I can see on the lug where it was against the slot in the action. Maybe I can drill it out and add some kind of pin,maybe even thread it. It's not stainless.