PDA

View Full Version : Varget

Pages : [1] 2

eddiesindian
05-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Curiuos:
Have you guys been able to find Varget? Ive shoped around the internet ie: Powder Valley, Brunos, just to name a few but its a no go with Varget.
Theres none to be found here in southwest Texas area.
Ive had to use other propellants that have proven them selves worthy like 4064 but Id sure like to go back to Varget for various reasons.
any info will greatly be appreciated

JW
05-17-2014, 07:48 AM
I have not seen any varget for about 2 years in this area
LOL as a matter of fact, have not seen much of any other powder
When it is in stock, it is gone rather quick
It will loosen up sometime
Jack

clovishound
05-17-2014, 08:08 AM
I saw some on the shelf here a few weeks ago. Rifle powder seems to be rebounding. The Varget disappeared after less than a week, but other powders have stayed on the shelf and are still available. I just wish the same could be said for pistol powder and .22lr. I'm hoping both will get back to something like normal later this year.

earl39
05-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Never had much luck with varget. It just doesn't like me for some reason. That said I am like clovis and seeing powders back on the shelf but no Varget and no RL15. A little IMR 4064 and a few others but not much pistol powder. I did get my backorder of BLC-2 from Midsouth the other day.

eddiesindian
05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
What a bummer.
Ive been waiting for this hole ordeal to subside since last year.

bootsmcguire
05-17-2014, 09:39 PM
As of the last 6mo I have been able to get Varget almost every time I hit my LGS that I go to for powder and primers. RL15 has always been there too except for 1 trip. RL22 has been harder to find for me around here and H1000 is tough which is why I have been working with RL25 for that barrel.

snowgetter1
05-17-2014, 11:29 PM
I have four pounds purchased last fall from Cabelas.

Jeremy B
05-18-2014, 08:11 PM
I bought 8# of varget at recobs last november

RevM
05-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Was just down at Nocked & Loaded in Lampasas this week looking for H4350 ... they said all that they had from Hodgdon was Varget.

eddiesindian
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Was just down at Nocked & Loaded in Lampasas this week looking for H4350 ... they said all that they had from Hodgdon was Varget.

holy cow........
Nocked and Loaded a?.....

Ackevor
05-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Varget has been tough to find for quite some time. About 1 1/2 years ago I ordered 35+lbs of powder from Powder Valley, which included 2 - 8 lb jugs of Varget (maybe three cant recall without looking) and a couple 8 lb jugs of bullseye. I sure am glad I stocked up on all my components when I did, as It was just a week or two before the shooting that exacerbated this mess.

If I see any in a local store I will try to get a hold of you and can ship it if you want. How much you willing to pay per pound or in the rare case there is one, and 8 lb jug? Keep in mind shipping and haz-mat since I dont want to be fined or worse if they catch me trying to ship without paying haz-mat charges haha. Average prices I have noticed around me are $24-30 per pound plus tax depending on store and powder.

eddiesindian
05-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Varget has been tough to find for quite some time. About 1 1/2 years ago I ordered 35+lbs of powder from Powder Valley, which included 2 - 8 lb jugs of Varget (maybe three cant recall without looking) and a couple 8 lb jugs of bullseye. I sure am glad I stocked up on all my components when I did, as It was just a week or two before the shooting that exacerbated this mess.

If I see any in a local store I will try to get a hold of you and can ship it if you want. How much you willing to pay per pound or in the rare case there is one, and 8 lb jug? Keep in mind shipping and haz-mat since I dont want to be fined or worse if they catch me trying to ship without paying haz-mat charges haha. Average prices I have noticed around me are $24-30 per pound plus tax depending on store and powder.

thats not a bad price per lb at all. shoot around here its closer to 40 easy.

sierracharlie338
05-20-2014, 10:41 AM
I've had better luck seeing it in local shops than online.

emtrescue6
05-20-2014, 05:52 PM
The new normal is here...I don't see it getting better anytime soon...happy as heck I did the same thing Ackevor did about 3 years ago now with a $1200 Natheze order...but I will be pissed in a year or two when I start running low on powder if I can't find any till then. I'd share any Vaget I had with ya, but I gave up on Varget long ago..

thermaler
05-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Somebody needs to make a phone app like "powder buddy" that will bring up location and supply of powder types : ) Seriously--finding powder is really like finding hidden treasures. I've been looking for H335 for a year and haven't been able to find it anywhere. On my way back to Maine for the summer this past weekend I stopped over at Maine Military Surplus which carries hardly any reload stuff--but low and behold they had a dozen one-pounders of H335 on the shelf! Like winning the lottery.

Texas Solo
05-20-2014, 08:03 PM
I gave up on Varget for the .308. Worked up a load with 4064 that was plentiful and it shoots great. Goodbye Varget.

eddiesindian
05-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I've had better luck seeing it in local shops than online.

wish I could say that

eddiesindian
05-20-2014, 11:19 PM
I gave up on Varget for the .308. Worked up a load with 4064 that was plentiful and it shoots great. Goodbye Varget.

Same here. Shoots great but I hate the way it meters but it is what it is.
"If" I can get ahold of Varget again?.........Id gladly switch back

RevM
05-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Here's a view of about a 1/2 (farther down the shelf are the Winchester and IMR brands) of the powder at Weakly-Watson Sporting Goods in Brownwood TX a little over a week ago:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/2014-05-08_12_09_46.jpg

Most of the bottles are two or three deep on the shelf.

03mossy
05-21-2014, 11:21 AM
the shelves look like that here also at all the stores but still no Varget! And its the powder I use the most of by far. Oh well at least the choice of replacements is back.