PDA

View Full Version : Action screw torque specs for Macmillan

Yotewhacker
03-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey guys,
I picked up a Model 12 VLP chambered in 308 win, and mounted the action and barrel in a Mcmillan stock off of a model 10 FCP. I just gave the action screws a good snug tightening but did not use a calibrated wrench, and she shot a .5" moa group while breaking in the barrel with some 168 gr. Hornady reloads. Off hand does any one have any idea of how much torque I should use on the screws for this stock? I have never tried to post a pic on this forum, so here goes. :P

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/ccm280/Firearms/IMG_0228.jpg

JCalhoun
03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that they recommend 55 to 65 inch lbs.

Yotewhacker
03-28-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that they recommend 55 to 65 inch lbs.

Thanks for the reply, I think that I remember an article written by a police sniper, that stated the same. I went to the range yesterday, and shot some groups with the screws at 35 inch lbs. so tomorrow I may try the same loads and go up 5 inch lbs. at a time, and see if it makes any difference. So many variables that may effect accuracy, and so little time to test them all. ;D