PDA

View Full Version : First Time Bedding- Need Help!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Chrazy-Chris
05-20-2014, 08:13 AM
I like acraglass. .it not dried up. One is a wax consistency and one is like honey...just mix it as instructed it makes a nice gel that goes where you want it and doesn't run all over the place like some.

I exchanged it for a new box of the stuff and thank God limige posted this little tidbit of info here, otherwise I would have thought this batch was just half-dried out because of the honey and wax consistency of it. I really appreciate the info, thanks limige!! Here she sits drying... I'll post pics of the final product tonight! Crossing my fingers!!!

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2925/14229061934_c5033df18a_c.jpg

BillPa
05-20-2014, 05:24 PM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2925/14229061934_c5033df18a_c.jpg

What's all that blue tape for?:p

Bill

Chrazy-Chris
05-20-2014, 11:50 PM
What's all that blue tape for?:p

Bill

Because it just looks so pretty ;) You should have seen all the purple play-dough

limige
05-27-2014, 02:09 AM
Electrical tape will stretch. Its always good to wrap it additionally with masking tape so it doesn't sag.

How'd she look when you popped it out??

Chrazy-Chris
05-27-2014, 11:13 PM
It ended up being a little thin along the bottom of the recess, but other than that it looked good. I ended up not putting enough compound in the area under the barrel nut but am happy enough with the rest of it so it should do. I'll be installing a kydex cheek rest and painting the stock in the near future so I'll be sure to snap so pics. Of course, I'd also like to get to the range and shoot some before/after groups... I'll keep you posted.

limige
05-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Barrel nut should be floated with the barrel. As long as the rear of the recoil lug is bedded and the areas between the action screws then your good to go.

Post pics when you hit the range

tufrthnails
05-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Where are the pics? I am getting ready to do my first one monday hopefully.

Chrazy-Chris
05-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Alright fellers, you are the privileged few who gets to see how ugly she us underneath the receiver. Once it's all put together it looks perfect though.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5480/14291960261_56d8e3a044_b.jpg

I'm hoping the groups it shoots are prettier than the bedding job. It will be a week or two before I can get to the range.

limige
05-30-2014, 03:19 AM
Oh that ain't too bad. Make sure to drill your action screw holes out a drill size over 1/4". Use a razor blade to trim excess off the mag well and trigger area and Dremel out the barrel nut area if that touches at all.

It ain't supposed to be pretty but the groups will look much better.

Chrazy-Chris
06-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Oh that ain't too bad. Make sure to drill your action screw holes out a drill size over 1/4". Use a razor blade to trim excess off the mag well and trigger area and Dremel out the barrel nut area if that touches at all.

It ain't supposed to be pretty but the groups will look much better.

Thanks for the tips. Why drill out the action screw holes?

olddav
06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
My guess is to make sure the screws don't bind up, acting as a recoil lug. But that's just a guess.
Your first bedding job looks a lot better than my first one.

limige
06-02-2014, 01:12 AM
Pretty much nailed it. You just want a little play around the screws. Sometimes the screws will form threads in the bedding and you dont want the screws biting on the bedding and not the action. Just one drill size bigger its standard clearance for the screws

foxx
06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I used to put tape around the screws and lube them well before bedding, but because I used threaded lamp rod for pillars, I had trouble getting just the right amount of tape. (Too much and they would not go in well, to little and they weren't relieved properly). Now I just apply good amount of release agent to the screws and grease the inside of the pillars. When its all done, I drill them out so there is plenty of space around them. The way I figure it, once the bedding material is set, the pillars can be drilled-out to a point they are pretty thin-walled and it does not matter any more because the surrounding epoxy will serve the same purpose.

BillPa
06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I used to put tape around the screws and lube them well before bedding, but because I used threaded lamp rod for pillars, I had trouble getting just the right amount of tape.

The next time you use lamp rod go to a local hardware store and pick up a few nylon standoffs. They'll generally have them in 3/8" and 1/2" diameters, 1/2" to 1-1/2" lin ength and drilled for a #6-10 screw. They'll probably to too large in diameter, but with a screw, drill and file you can work them down for slight interference press fit in the lamp rod. Drill them open to 1/4", cut to length, give'm a shot of release, press them in the rod then attach the pillars to the action with screws. Don't forget to apply release on the screws.

After the glue sets remove the screws and tap the standoffs out with a dowel or punch.

Bill

foxx
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
The next time you use lamp rod go to a local hardware store and pick up a few nylon standoffs. They'll generally have them in 3/8" and 1/2" diameters, 1/2" to 1-1/2" lin ength and drilled for a #6-10 screw. They'll probably to too large in diameter, but with a screw, drill and file you can work them down for slight interference press fit in the lamp rod. Drill them open to 1/4", cut to length, give'm a shot of release, press them in the rod then attach the pillars to the action with screws. Don't forget to apply release on the screws.

After the glue sets remove the screws and tap the standoffs out with a dowel or punch.

Bill

Hmmm... If I do that, I might also have an easier time bedding the pillars and action in one step. Sounds like a plan. Thanks, Bill.

Chrazy-Chris
06-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I finally got to the range today and got her re-zeroed. Check out the groups!
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?35278-My-Budget-1000yrd-308/page3

Thanks for your help, fellas!