PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Target system

eddiesindian
05-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Finally completed the wireless digital camcoder system.
I can record at the fireing line via laptop/software and at the objective via camera which is full 1080 HD.
Transmitter/reciever are good for 1 mile (line of sight)
2-12v sealed 9amp hr batteries should give me 4-5 hrs run time
camcorder/transmitter run off of one battery, reciever runs off the other
laptop gives me 2hrs run time with internal battery with another as a spare gives me 4hrs.
Ive been waiting for these terrible dust/winds to be gone with here in southwestern Texas and havent had a chance to give the system a test run at distance.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/Wirelesscamsystem004_zps1c3bfc3d.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/Wirelesscamsystem001_zps16582769.jpg

limige
05-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Very nice!
I bought a pi but need help with the software. .. hoping to get it up and running one of these years

eddiesindian
05-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Very nice!
I bought a pi but need help with the software. .. hoping to get it up and running one of these years
Interesting. Define pi?
The software for this one isnt all that great but it more than gets the job done. The software from Bullseye target system is much better, but the transmitter and reciever cant reach out to as far as I need.
The place I shoot at distance is perfect for my set up. I have direct line of sight.
The trans/reciever have the ability of switching between 8 channels just in case I get interference. Im going to be in a mountain valley in the middle of no where but then again you never know.

limige
05-17-2014, 09:11 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?28716-DIY-Wireless-Target-Thread-Part-Deux&highlight=wireless+target+cam

Mods deleted the first thread and screwed me up. Someone was gonna help me on the software end because its over my head..

Raspberry pi..small diy computer that you use to transmit WiFi to a laptop to view your cam. OP had his going 1000yrds working great.
now people are expanding on the idea using phones to view the feed.

eddiesindian
05-18-2014, 01:54 AM
roger that
the software I purchased is as simple as it gets. Its basically a capture device "EasyCap 2.0 usb". Comes with software,usb,avg cables.
Im hoping to eventually not use my old laptop and find a tablet 'of sorts that will take the software upload.
my laptop is on the maybe too big side for what I need but on the other hand, Ive had the low cost target cam system mind set all along and so far been doing good keeping cost low...least thats what I always "think" Im doing.

eddiesindian
05-19-2014, 08:07 PM
I knew full and well that it was going to be a crappy sunday but I had to head out to the desert and ck the system out. It works fantastic. The clarity at 1000 is great.
I wish I could upload some videos but I cant do it presently. its in the works.

TexSavage
05-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Was wondering if you could share with a shooter up here in the panhandle where you got and what transmitter/receiver setup you settled on. I don't need recording just live feed for 1,000 yards.

glassbeaver
05-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Was wondering if you could share with a shooter up here in the panhandle where you got and what transmitter/receiver setup you settled on. I don't need recording just live feed for 1,000 yards.

Interested as well.

eddiesindian
05-29-2014, 08:34 PM

All info and specs are here in this site. This is where I purchased mine. There good out to 1 mile providing a good clean line of site.

http://www.protectiondepot.com/8-Channel-2-Watt-Transmitter-Receiver.html

arizona98tj
06-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Congrats on getting your system up and running. Based on your comments about it being way too dusty due to the wind conditions, I assume you really don't want to get your laptop filled with dust and likewise, the camcorder. If that is correct, then why not use a simple LCD monitor and camera? Both would be less expensive and pretty much bullet (dust) proof, it would seem. Or maybe I am missing something here and have just missed the reason you went the route you did. I like the pricing on the transmitter and receiver....that seems quite reasonable for the 1 mile range you are expecting.

eddiesindian
06-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Congrats on getting your system up and running. Based on your comments about it being way too dusty due to the wind conditions, I assume you really don't want to get your laptop filled with dust and likewise, the camcorder. If that is correct, then why not use a simple LCD monitor and camera? Both would be less expensive and pretty much bullet (dust) proof, it would seem. Or maybe I am missing something here and have just missed the reason you went the route you did. I like the pricing on the transmitter and receiver....that seems quite reasonable for the 1 mile range you are expecting.
The HD camcorder along with laptop is something i already had at hand. the software allows me to record what the camera is seeing into the laptop so I can rewind/freeze/pause at the firing line if i so wish. You cant do that with a simple monitor.
In addition, I can replay both laptop or camcorder at home. Seeing the replay thru the 1080-HD camcoder on a 52" 1080-HD tele makes for some excellant viewing.
As far as the wind?..... I can live with "some" wind. But if it gets up to plus 25mph winds @ 1K and beyond?.....IMO it becomes too much of a guessing game. Ive already paid my dues in practicing in all kinds of winds and it was a great learning expierence as far as developing a quick decision on calling how much adjustment is needed for long range shots.
The last time I used the wireless, there was about a 20-25 mph winds and the dust wasnt an issue. It was more the wind being an issue. Im sending 175gr SMK,s a little faster than 2700 and even then Im having to adj up to 6 moa to make up for movement of the pill at 1K.
I considered going the route of a simple monitor but I changed my mind once I realized that the price of the software was a mere 18 bucks on e-bay.

Stockrex
06-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I was thinking of something simpler to setup and off the shelf and not have to sell the farm.

dlink wifi camera ($60 or less) > Router > laptop/pda phone

the part I have not solved in the power supply for the dlink and router, if they are 6v, I have rechargeable 6v batts that I can hardwire (cut off adapter cables).

so basically, you router has a wireless AP called say target,
both camera and laptop connects to this. viooooooooooooooooooooooooolaaaaaaaaaaaa.

on the plus side dlink comes with cool pda and lappy software.

eddiesindian
06-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I was thinking of something simpler to setup and off the shelf and not have to sell the farm.

dlink wifi camera ($60 or less) > Router > laptop/pda phone

the part I have not solved in the power supply for the dlink and router, if they are 6v, I have rechargeable 6v batts that I can hardwire (cut off adapter cables).

so basically, you router has a wireless AP called say target,
both camera and laptop connects to this. viooooooooooooooooooooooooolaaaaaaaaaaaa.

on the plus side dlink comes with cool pda and lappy software.

Keep in mind. I already had the camcorder and the laptop. Who doesnt own a laptop. Camcoder Ive had for yrs, I just never considered using it as a target cam system.
In reality, the only things I had to purchace to make my target system was transmitter/reciever...batteries.
You can get a small lead filled,sealed,12v 9amp hr battery and regulate the voltage down to what ever you need and get alot more run time.

hkmp5s
06-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Hobby king also has some kits you can use. They are used for fpf on radio controlled planes.