PDA

View Full Version : Best Barrel Configuration for .243 Win for long range work

LRM TGP
05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
I recently acquired an older 111G from my father chambered in .243 Win. I believe it to be a 111G due to the maple stock, Iron sights, and slimmer barrel contour. Its serial range is F410XXX. It suffers from heat related accuracy problems. I have been doping groups for about 200 rounds. I would to know any information that will help me settle on a barrel configuration for a 800yd hump gun. I will be toting this around and shooting from multiple shooting positions. It needs to sling pills in the 100grn-115grn range. It will have glass and flash device. Any and all info, ideas, and examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jamie
05-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Since you will be carrying it, I would go 24" varmint contour with a 1:7 twist. That's a easy 800 yard set up. If you were sticking to 105 class bullets then 1:8 would be my choice.

LRM TGP
05-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks a lot Jamie. I was debating barrel lengths and 24" was where is was falling as well. What usually (without spending massive amounts of range time on handloading data) is the heaviest pill a 1:8 will stabilize? I am really kind of asking generically, from BTHP to spitzer softpoint.

bootsmcguire
05-18-2014, 10:49 PM
I would consider doing a 26" varmint taper and having it heavily fluted. The 1-7 or 1-8 twist as mentioned above should do nicely. I would also consider going to the 243AI if you are handloading. The added brass life alone makes it a viable choice, plus it gives you the chance to get a little more out of it for slinging those heavier bullets way out there. JMHO's of course.

ig25
05-31-2014, 09:36 PM
I would consider doing a 26" varmint taper and having it heavily fluted. The 1-7 or 1-8 twist as mentioned above should do nicely. I would also consider going to the 243AI if you are handloading. The added brass life alone makes it a viable choice, plus it gives you the chance to get a little more out of it for slinging those heavier bullets way out there. JMHO's of course.

Agree with bootsmcguire