PDA

View Full Version : McGowan barrels

jskmtd
05-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Question for those of you who have a McGowan barrel. How many shots does it take before they quit copper fouling? I only have around 25 down the tube of my new McGowan barrel and it is still picking up a fair amount of copper. Thanks for any input on this.
Jon

geargrinder
05-15-2014, 10:26 PM
I don't care about copper unless there is an accuracy problem.

None of my McGowan barrels have had accuracy problems, so I don't know if they are copper fouled or not.

jskmtd
05-15-2014, 11:03 PM
So far it looks like it will be accurate. I only have one other aftermarket barrel and after the first 20 rounds I didn't get anymore copper so I guess I was hoping the McGowan would be the same way.
Jon

geargrinder
05-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Barrels are like snowflakes. Each one is different.

If it shoots, don't worry about the copper.

RyanG
05-17-2014, 09:35 AM
I shot my McGowen yesterday, its a 28 inch 260 AI. I put 22 rounds through it which brings the round count up to 105. It cleans up with about 10 patches with only traces of copper here and there. With that said most of my barrels do the same. I agree that I dont worry too much about copper unless I have an accuracy problem. I am very pleased with my McGowen barrel. It took very little to break in and the accuracy is great. I am shooting just over .6 at a hundred with 140 grain Hornady BTHP match. I hope to improve that a little with my new Lapua brass as I have been shooting resized 243 brass that is on its 6th reloading.

jskmtd
05-18-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm at 30 rounds now and I think its time to start load development. I didn't want to use the powder and bullets that I want to shoot for barrel break-in. The barrel does show promise.
Thanks for the replies,
Jon

Tokimini
05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I just broke in a McGowen barrel in 6BR last Sunday. There was absolutely no copper fouling at all, and I used the same foam and cleaning method that always shows copper in my Shilen barreled 204 Ruger. Just screwing around trying to find the right COAL I was getting multiple sub half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards using a powder that was not ideal for the heavy bullets I was using. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it likes Varget. When I get this dialed in I think this barrel will be capable of getting in the .200s if I do my part.