PDA

View Full Version : Scopes fixed or adjustable magnification?

campdude
05-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Just as stated, what do you prefer and why?
I only have scopes on some high end pellet rifles and they are adjustable, but I keep them on the highest magnification and just focus to what I am shooting.

bremereric
05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
When you shoot at something closer you may want a bigger window to view. I vote adjustable.

campdude
05-20-2014, 03:28 PM
I was hoping to get some more comments for the fixed.

Tarheelpwr
05-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Really depends on the use. If it's strictly for longer than 150 yards, a 10x+ fixed is perfectly fine. You generally get a little more rugged scope and more quality out of a fixed. If you're planning on multiple roles for a rifle, variable is the way to go. I would not want to find a sprung buck at 25 yds with a 10x.

You can also look at a 4x/6x fixed. That will get you to a very respectable range, but it's very subjective. You need to try a 6x at 400 yards and see if you're OK with it.

Rick_W
05-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Depends on use...

If it will only see the range then a high-power fixed is acceptable to me.

If it's on a dedicated fairly short-range hunting rifle (under ~200 yds depending on what is being hunted) then a low-power fixed scope is acceptable to me.

If it's on hunting rifle that may see shots from 15 - 250+ yds then I prefer a variable in the 2-7x, 3-9x, or 2-10x range - with it set on the lowest power until I decide to zoom in for a particular target.

LoneWolf
05-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Exactly what has been said. You can learn how to work on lower power if you may have to work at short and long ranges. I have a fixed 12x on my target style 308, but the rig is a little heavy for trying to shoot movers at close range. I mainly shoot it at 100yds and out from the prone to it works.

A variable will give you more options for more shooting scenarios. Sometimes a larger field of view can be very handy.

campdude
05-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys,
I have not hunted as an adult, I hunted with my Dad when I was younger but I would like the rifle to handle multiple task.
It will be mainly for target shooting but I will also leave the iron sights, again I like to have options if I am in a bad situation and damage the scope.

bremereric
05-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I did the Mueller 4.5 X 14 X 40 that is a 30mm tube on my little b-mag. I shot it yesterday and I like it a lot. I got a discount coupon and free shipping to the door for $148.71

http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-4-5-14x-40mm-ao-all-purpose-tactical-riflescope.html