PDA

View Full Version : Beginner reloading kits

conorem1
05-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I've been looking into getting into hand loading, and saw a couple of different kits but figured I'd ask about which one people have had experiences with here. I'll be reloading .308.

ngoforth
05-15-2014, 01:38 PM
I started out with an RCBS rockchucker kit. I still use the press it has been the only one I have ever needed in 15 years. At the time the packaged deal fit all my needs and for the most part still does. The only upgrade I have made is to an RCBS chargemaster 1500. I have a good friend that bought a lee kit and it has been great for him. I looked up the packages and they all seem to contain similar things. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. I started with a .308 as well.

Oscarflytyer
05-15-2014, 02:36 PM
RCBS Rockchucker kit nearly 30 years ago - still all I use today. Have picked up a few other small items over time, but the basic kit is still my go-to.

the Ranger
05-15-2014, 05:06 PM
started out about 10 years ago with a Lee Aniversary kit ($70 at the time) and a set of Lee .308 dies, I must have dies for a dozen different rifle and handgun cartridges now, but still use the same press from that kit. that same kit now comes with a nicer press.

texasgunclass
05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
rcbs and you will have a press that will last you a lifetime

bootsmcguire
05-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Bought a Lee Kit and its been serving me well for years and years. I upgraded to a 4 hole Turret Press some time ago, but still use most of the equipment from the original kit. They do have a nice kit that included the Turret press.

conorem1
05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
I guess the consensus says rcbs, guess I'll be ordering it this weekend.

Jamie
05-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Flip a coin and pick between the RCBS kit and the Hornady kits that run $300-$350 range. Either will have everything you need and last for a long time. I did break a part on my Hornady progressive press being stupid one day. I called them, told them it was my fault and they still covered the part and shipping. Oh, funniest recordings I have ever heard on a companies phone.

emtrescue6
05-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I personally wouldn't buy the new RCBS presses...now the older Rockchuckers, that's a different story,they are one of the better presses. All 4 of my single stage presses are older CH...and hands down, I think for the money (if you can find one used) they are the best thing out there. For newer...I'd have to say Hornady....when my brother decided to start loading a few years back we got him a Hornady Lock N Load for Christmas and it has worked flawlessly...and they have great customer service...but I will say this...I own a great deal of RCBS equipment and they also have great customer service.

conorem1
05-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Awesome, I'll look into the RCBS. The kick of this is I'm building my reloading station in my small one bed room apartment lol, gotta make do for now.

308 Hunter
05-15-2014, 10:15 PM
I started with the RCBS Rockchucker press and reloading kit along time ago. Still use it today for rifle and handgun rounds. Still works like new. I use both the Lee and RCBS dies, both work very well.