PDA

View Full Version : Boyds ordering am I missing something?

campdude
05-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I have a Hog Hunter .308 and factory stuff to convert to dbm.

Boyds order form

Make-Savage
Model-11 top bolt release
Action-Bolt action-detachable box mag-short action factory barrel
Shape-Prairie hunter
Finish-Finished

I know I will have to open barrel channel some but everything else should be good,right?

Hotolds442
05-15-2014, 10:12 AM
You are correct. You will have to open up the barrel channel for sure, and possibly add a little more clearance around the bolt release.

wbm
05-15-2014, 01:12 PM
I ordered the Prairie Hunter for my 20" Savage 308 heavy barrel. My barrel is the E.R. Shaw Tactical barrel and is a bit larger than the hog hunter but there was enough wood on the forearm to open it up.

campdude
05-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys

Chrazy-Chris
05-20-2014, 08:35 AM
The $5 I spent on a 4'x1" dowel to assist in sanding open the barrel channel on my Boyd's tacticool for a Savage 11VT was probably the best $5 I ever spent towards a gun project.

campdude
05-20-2014, 03:25 PM
The $5 I spent on a 4'x1" dowel to assist in sanding open the barrel channel on my Boyd's tacticool for a Savage 11VT was probably the best $5 I ever spent towards a gun project.

Thanks I will take all the help I can get, what grit sandpaper?

Chrazy-Chris
05-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks I will take all the help I can get, what grit sandpaper?

I used 150 because that's what I had on hand and it worked great but took some elbow grease. You could use something a little less fine. You may want to put a coat of paint or something over it to protect it from moisture when you're done, so you should sand it for what you plan to coat it with (paint=a little rougher, oil=smooth).

At home depot they sell packs with a variety of different grits which comes in handy.

BillPa
05-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Another tip. When you inletting the channel use a transfer fluid, inletting black-gold or even lipstick will work to show where the barrel is making contact in the channel and where material needs to be removed rather than just blindly sanding- scrapping until it fits. Use guide screws in the action to align the barrel in channel consistently as your working. Angle the action slightly so the rear guide enters first then the front.

You may have to set it in and take it out 20 times but in the end you'll end up with "professional" looking fitting job.

Bill

campdude
05-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Great information guys
Thanks