PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut

Pages : [1] 2

OneShot
05-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I was pretty much set to shorten the barrel of my Model 11 V/T from 24'' down to 20''. I have found a local reputable smith and I was set to send it today. However, last night I had a chat with a friend and he told me that I might have negative results from an otherwise quite good rifle.

I have no problems with my rifle, although new (56 rounds), is quite accurate and I am happy. The reason for shortening the barrel is that this rifle double acts as range and hunting rifle and a shorter barrel comes handy as less weight and better maneuverability.

Anyhow, the more I think about it the more I am biased to cut it...

What do you think?

schockergd
05-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Is the 4" of weight savings worth the potential of lessened accuracy? Not saying that it's an obvious tradeoff, but you never know how some gun smiths might treat it. Only you can decide in of yourself whether it's worth the potential for a tradeoff.

foxx
05-14-2014, 07:38 PM
I doubt the weight savings will be much but if it is a 308 you should not lose any accuracy out to 300 yards and beyond. It will certainly be more handy. I would not pay more than $50 though.... there are good sources for less.

OneShot
05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks both of you for your input.

Foxx as always... you have an answer. Much appreciated! On my other thread you told me about these guys http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Crown%20any%20Barrel

Problem is that with shipping goes well past $50... $70 before tax... My local guy asks $80. If there is a concern with accuracy I might not do it. the question here is how Savage has more or less the same rifle (10PC) with the same (I think) barrel? It's 1 in 10 20''. Mine is 1 in 10 24''. My guess of weight savings is just shy of 1 lb.

foxx
05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
That's who I was thinking of. Shipping should be about $10-15 one way. I have shipped a bunch lately. Oh well. If you trust your guy go for it.

OneShot
05-14-2014, 08:07 PM
What do you think about accuracy and weight savings? Is my estimation correct? Around a pound?

sixonetonoffun
05-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a perfectly good rationalization to buy another rifle.

OneShot
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Lol... no way... I cannot afford another rifle and certainly I cannot afford a lawyer....

OneShot
05-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Well, I used this http://www.onlinemetals.com/calculator.cfm for estimation and it appears that weight savings are between 0.55 to 0.65 lbs....

snowgetter1
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
If that is what you want cut it. If a gunsmith is cutting it the new crown should be fine. It will shoot. I have several Striker barrels from cut down used Rifle barrels that shoot better than any other "custom" barrels I have. Go for it.

foxx
05-14-2014, 09:30 PM
My Hog Hunter is 20" and so far, initial load development is better than 1/2 inch at 100 yds. I don't think yours should be any different if you let the barrel cool between shots. Some cartridges (30-06) suffer at that length, 308 does not seem to at all, accuracy wise. It will lose a little velocity, but not accuracy.

Elgin
05-14-2014, 09:34 PM
I've had a couple 308s with 20 inch barrels (still have one), and accuracy has been great. As long as your smith does a good job cutting and recrowning, you should be fine.

OneShot
05-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks all of you guys for the great input.

I do not know the smith personally. He is a reputable smith in the area and I read a few good reviews on the web. He is Ronnie Coxx, Greenville SC, off Woodruff Road.

Jamie
05-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Cut it. Your accuracy should improve if anything. You may have to work up a new load for the change in harmonics but that is about it.

I haven't shot my .243 for groups at distance just steel but last outing it went 15 for 15 on steel at 900 yards. It is a 17" barrel.

sixonetonoffun
05-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Yeah seriously make it what you want. If ya change your mind a good take off barrel can always get ya back to where ya started for about the same money. Me I'd be planning.the.next purchase!

05-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Cut it. Your accuracy should improve if anything.

Why? I've never heard this.

My own opinion was always that, aside from the loss of muzzle velocity, cutting off a barrel would be about like rolling the dice. It might get more accurate, it might get less, and there's no way to predict...

LoneWolf
05-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Some say because a shorter barrel is stiffer then it can cause increases in accuracy, but it is always hard to say how something will react depending on the guy doing the work. The biggest thing is the crown being done correctly as it has the last impact on the bullet as it leaves the barrel.

In my experience I can shoot just as well with an M4 with a 16" barrel as the M16A4 with a 20" barrel. The shorter barrel just requires bigger corrections. It's only less accurate if the shooter doesn't understand what the rifle requires to be put on target. In a sense it is less accurate because it requires larger corrections!

missed
05-15-2014, 07:10 AM
I have never seen a loss of accuracy from shortening barrels. I have cut down quite a few barrels. I have had to do some load development over again but that is all. On accuracy improving there is a chance that a load that was mediocre with one length could be the hot ticket for a shorter barrel in regards to the harmonics and barrel whip. 20" barrel makes for a great field gun barrel. I did take one of my older 28" 308 barrels that I was not thrilled with the accuracy, set it back, and shortened to 16.5" and it did improve the accuracy, but I did hit both ends of that barrel.

BoilerUP
05-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Shorter barrels mean less velocity, not less accuracy.

More importantly than the roughly half-pound of weight savings is the BALANCE you will gain from the shorter barrel.

Dennis
05-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Is the 4" of weight savings worth the potential of lessened accuracy?

I will have to agree with the above.

Dennis