PDA

View Full Version : Choate ultimate varmint compatibility

schockergd
05-14-2014, 01:22 AM
I recently bought a Choate ultimate varmint stock on a whim. I *figured* it might be compartible with one of the savage 110 model rifles I had (A 10, 11 or stevens 110e) but was sorely mistaken.

So, I have a stock I'd love to use, but nothing to use it with. I believe it might be the older style that doesn't work with the newer screw spacing on the savages (Which is the case on my two savages). The Stevens just doesn't want to seem to fit, it seems like the steel magazine insert gets hung up on the stock or something and I really don't want to force it.

So, I need to figure out a way either to make it compatible, trade the stock for one that works, or trade off one of my savages for a compatible model.

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is the 2nd savage stock I'm having issues with (The other being a boyds thumbhole lightweight stock that i need to buy a metal bottom for to get it to work).

6mmBR_Shooter
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
what screw spacing is the stock for? why wont it fit? what is your 110's screw spacing measured at?

MrThorshammer
05-15-2014, 05:47 PM
110 is long action. From my due diligence all screw spacing on long actions has remained unchanged.

My question is why doesn't Choate make a sniper folding stock for the NEW 4.41" short action screw spacing? Their reply to this was "we sold out of those stocks and won't make more due to low demand". Awful logic there.

foxx
05-15-2014, 06:38 PM
The critical factor that will tell you everything you need to know to order the correct stock is the screw hole spacing.

Check this out: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

Well, I guess you need to be a paid member to have access to that article. I highly recommend it. It's $15 per year and gives you access to many great technical articles about Savage rifles and also the member classifieds section. There are great wts and wtb listings there all the time. Great deals. I have easily made my money back more than 10-fold. Think of it as a magazine subscription, but better. :)

schockergd
05-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Question about screw spacing : Is it from the center of the hole ,or what? I bought a caliper for the purpose of measuring and don't know where I'm measuring from/to :D

short round
05-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Screw spacing is measured center to center of hole. Boyds Gunstocks has pictures & measurement. Take a look in Choate magazine well, they are marked as to what action. Also need to know if your stock is made for stagger feed or centerfeed. Screw spacing measurement will help to determine which you have. If mag box stays with action it's staggerfeed, if box stays with stock it's center feed. long action 5.062" stagger 4.522" center 4.275"

bootsmcguire
05-17-2014, 03:11 PM
long action 5.062" stagger 4.522" center 4.275"

Not sure what you are trying to tell the OP here as your info is a bit off. Let me clarify:

Long Action with either mag type is 5.062"
Short Action with Staggerfeed mag is 4.27"
Short Action with Centerfeed mag is 4.40"
PTA Short actions are either 4.40" or 3.44"

The 4.52" spacing is for the very early 1st gen Short Actions. They are Staggerfeed and often referred to as the "J Series" actions which is a misleading name but that's another discussion.

schockergd
05-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Seems the stock is 4.27" and all my rifles are 4.4" (Even the Stevens 110e).

Now I just gotta find a heavy barreled gun to put in it. It's a fantastic stock it seems, shame i don't have anything to put in it at this point. The stock + stuff it came with was too good of a deal to pass up.