PDA

View Full Version : Bolt hard to close on 308 hog hunter in accustock

griff383
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
I was going through my 308 hog hunter the other day and noticed that the bolt is hard to close with an empty chamber. I mounted it in an accustock with the proper recoil lug and material removed to accept the top bolt release receiver. The bolt runs smooth in the action until you just start to close it, then there is resistance and it closes with some added effort. It doesnt take a whole lot of extra effort but enough that I noticed it wasnt as smooth as my other Savages. Anyone have an idea as to why this would happen?

sixonetonoffun
05-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Check the front action screw (loosen it then try the bolt).

buggybuilder
05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
I had the same problem with my Boyds aftermarket stock. The front action screw is too long. All I did was put a .25 dia. washer under the front action screw and put it back together. Worked perfect. A more permanent fix would be to cut the screw off, but I did not have time for this.

griff383
05-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I loosened the front screw and then took it out, same results. I even took it completely out of the stock and still no change, any other ideas?

jammied
05-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Is the bolt face hitting the reciver? Try a piece of tape on the front of the bolt and maybe see if it is hittng. Just a thought

griff383
05-13-2014, 07:51 PM
forgot to add, tried a diff bolt with same result

I dont think its hitting the receiver but will take a closer look at that

sixonetonoffun
05-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Fresh out (of ideas) but could there be a bit of debris in there? Did you bed the new stock (could be something got in there?). Maybe in the other end ? Just seems odd if all you did was swap stocks.

devildogandboy
05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
are you shooting reloads? maybe shoulder needs to be bumped a tad. if the barrel has been removed or replaced, check the headspace.

Bruce

BillPa
05-13-2014, 08:09 PM
If you have a scope mount installed check the length of the rear screw in the ring. That hole is drilled-tapped through into the lug recess. If the screw is too long the locking lug will hit it.

Bill

griff383
05-13-2014, 08:23 PM
no bedding, no junk in the action, no screws protruding, head space is good, yes I reload but issue is with empty chamber, maybe I just need to shoot it more and break it in!

foxx
05-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a job for Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. Have him True and Time it.

BillPa
05-14-2014, 10:19 AM
I loosened the front screw and then took it out, same results. I even took it completely out of the stock and still no change, any other ideas?

Just fish'n a bit, but try two things. First clean the abutments and lug recesses and try it, second lossen the BAS(bolt assembly screw) a turn or two and give it a go and report back.

Bill