PDA

View Full Version : Rem-age barrels Who tried them?

Heavies
03-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Has any one out there used the Northland setup for their remmy?
How was the accuracy without truing up the action and bolt?
Any range reports and difficulties in the installation?

Thanks for your reviews.
B

Blue Avenger
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
How was the accuracy without truing up the action and bolt?

unless you trued it later it would only be a guess. All you could compare to would be the previous barrel.

a good action wrench and barrel vice would be a must for the first barrel removal with a rem, is a smith to at least get it off if you are not going to put it back on. stock would have to be inletted to fit the nut. permanent blemish it you switch back.

pklin
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
I have the similar questions as well, but to make it simpler:

Who has used this system and what are your thoughts/experiences with it? Do you like it? Personal thought is without a trued action this option would probably shoot about as well as the factory config. Albeit a little better given the custom barrel.

Any experiences to share? Thanks.

Heavies
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes, that was what I was asking about.
How does she shoot as compared to the factory tube. I am using my rem 30-06 for longrange target. This rifle shoots an honest moa if I do my part, but the factory noodle barrel is just too whippy and heats up too fast. I want to rebarrel with a thicker contour and if it'll even a little better than that would probably sell me.
Would be nice to do all the work without waiting on a smith. :)

pklin
03-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Heavies, I think this may not be the right forum to ask this question as most are Savage shooters and would not use their Rems enough to warrant this. You seem to be getting more hits on Snipers Hide anyway, maybe just refresh the thread over there. Or think about moving this to another category here...

wkt60
03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
I've been waiting for reviews to.
Just a heads up, being a Savage guy the first thing I thought you were supposed to do was have the Rem 700 action trued so off it went.
Had I thought it out or researched it correctly I'd have known most Gunsmiths who true Rem 700 actions clean up & recut the receiver threads. Big no no for Rem nut barrels, for now I have a blueprinted receiver that requires custom barrel threads ( 1.090) ,Rem factory is 1.065.
Something to keep in mind.
I also ordered Rem barrel nuts from Pac-nor & Northern, Jims are identical to Savages( very nice) but the Pac-nors are different & $85.00 ( although also nicely done.
Just my thoughts.

RHH
04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
i just got Though trying a rem-age barrel on my rem 700 which started out as a 204 ruger
i did lap the lugs and install a timney trigger plus a boyds stock with the factory barrel witch helped a little but still copper fouled real bad but still get 40 gr. vmaxes to shoot around 1" with hand loads
now for the McGowan 1 in 11" twist 204
i got the 1.065 plug tap for Remington receivers from midway because the new barrel was real tight in the factory threads with mill marks from cutting the bolt raceway now the barrel screwed in with a firm grip i went ahead and added a colhoun recoil lug and hogged out the barrel channel and bedded the receiver
now tried some hornady 40 v max (factory loads) 5 shot group
.732" 3708 ave.73 es. 32 sd.
federal vita shock with 39 sierra blitz king (factory loads)5 shot group
.545" 3809 fps ave. 97 es. 40 sd.
nosler custom with 40 gr noslers (semi factory loads) 5 shot group
.521" 3673 fps ave. es 20. sd. 7
not a trace of copper when i cleaned it
now i am going to load some loads i know i will get some better groups

Robert

desertdog
04-12-2010, 09:34 PM
i just got Though trying a rem-age barrel on my rem 700 which started out as a 204 ruger
i did lap the lugs and install a timney trigger plus a boyds stock with the factory barrel witch helped a little but still copper fouled real bad but still get 40 gr. vmaxes to shoot around 1" with hand loads
now for the McGowan 1 in 11" twist 204
i got the 1.065 plug tap for Remington receivers from midway because the new barrel was real tight in the factory threads with mill marks from cutting the bolt raceway now the barrel screwed in with a firm grip i went ahead and added a colhoun recoil lug and hogged out the barrel channel and bedded the receiver
now tried some hornady 40 v max (factory loads) 5 shot group
.732" 3708 ave.73 es. 32 sd.
federal vita shock with 39 sierra blitz king (factory loads)5 shot group
.545" 3809 fps ave. 97 es. 40 sd.
nosler custom with 40 gr noslers (semi factory loads) 5 shot group
.521" 3673 fps ave. es 20. sd. 7
not a trace of copper when i cleaned it
now i am going to load some loads i know i will get some better groups

Robert
nice!! let know how it goes!! you got my attention!! 8) dd

desertdog
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
??? ??? did i miss something in my spelling?? on the last post!!! da* spell check!! lol!!

RHH
04-17-2010, 07:17 AM
it realy got my attention shooting factory ammo so well

Robert

Heavies
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
RHH,
Sweet on that .204. I think I might try doing the '06 after I finish my Savage PTA build in 6br.
Let us know how those handloads perform.

trap
08-28-2011, 09:58 PM
They are SWEET. Make sure you switch out for a oversized recoil lug because some of mine were over .10 out from top to bottom so don't matter what your action is if that's so far out. There's more to a good group than just trueing up an action. Just do what Jim says and you will be great. They might not run with these guys getting 1-1/2'' at 800 yards but you can see well under a true 1/2 MOA if you do your part. If you ask me it's best of both worlds.

DannoBoone
08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
"trap" seems to have very good luck with his converted Remmy 700:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,42821.0.html

Kain7997
12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I ordered a 6.5x47 Lapua 28’’ Bull barrel with the recessed crown for my Rem 700 along with the barrel nut from Jim Brigg's/Criterion. When the barrel arrived, I thoroughly inspected the chamber, crown, and finish. All I can say about that is WOW!!! I have never seen a barrel that looked this good, and I have owned many custom barrels. I lapped the bolt lugs, screwed the barrel into the action until it made contact with the go-gauge, then I torqued the barrel nut down, and checked the head space with the no-go-gauge.The whole process took me about 45 min. to 1 hour. Now, the good part-after setting up at the range, I fired four shots to get zeroed at 100 yards, then I shot the first three-shot group, and was completely blown away. All three went into one hole. I actually had to walk down and look at the target just to make sure that my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. After confirming the group, I shot several more one-ragged hole groups. The worst group was just over ¼’’. The following day I shot a few 200 yard groups, and again was blown away by this Rem-Age barrel that I almost past on. The worst 200 yard group was just over ½’’. You owe it to yourself to give one of Jim’s Rem-Age barrels a try. I think you will be impressed by the quality of the barrel.

Predator1
12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I have a remmy 700 that currently wears a Lilja 17Mach IV and the action was trued up when I had it installed. So, is the rem-age a no go for me on this action if the threads were recut?

Kain7997
12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply, He can let you know. If the threads were just trued up you should be fine but if he opened them up to a larger diameter then I don't think it will work. Give Jim a call he is a super guy.

Yoda
12-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Why not just get the bolt machined to except Savage bolt heads ?? seems like youd have about just as much money involved as TT a Remington action, plus then you'd have the option of shooting cases with different sizs bolt face, Just Like a savage. ;D