PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug

tom338
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Waiting for my new barrel. Have a heavy duty recoil lug ordered with it and know it won't fit very good into a accustock. I know I can grind either the recoil lug or stock down to fit. How much difference will this really make using the heavy duty vs a standard recoil lug??? This is not a dedicated long range target gun but a long range hunting rifle. Barrel will be a heavy varmint profile.

stewart3
05-13-2014, 02:09 PM
remove material from your stock and bed the new lug, unless you are concerned about resale of the stock. if resale is an issue I would use the old lug. doubtful that someone here would advise you to grind the new lug unless you have access to a mill.

the Ranger
05-13-2014, 11:27 PM
no need to bed an accu-stock. you will need to move the forward edge of the slot in the stock further forward, easily done with a carbide cutter in a Dremel. don't touch the rear surface of the slot, and I wouldn't cut on the stock any more than that, taking metal out of the stock will only lose rigidity. I was able to grind the bottom and sides of a heavy lug to fit my accu-stock without effecting the surfaces that should touch the action, barrel nut, and stock.

stewart3
05-14-2014, 12:01 AM
widening your lug slot will slightly weaken the bedding block aluminum is way easier to manipulate than steel. skim bed the action anyway unless you have a precision custom action.