PDA

View Full Version : SSS/Douglas barrel contours

rdfrench
09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi guys,

First post on this site. I see from Fred's website that their barrels are standard varmint contours. Does anyone know if he also has sporter weight barrels?

thanks,
Robert

BrentWin
09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I am sure that Fred would be happy to order any contour for you.

rdfrench
09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I was hoping that would be the case...I sent Fred an email the other day, but with the holiday and all I haven't heard from him yet.

Any of you guys ordered a sporter barrel from Fred before?

J.Baker
09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Fred orders all his barrels in as heavy barrels. On the rare occasion that someone wants a sporter barrel, he has a lathe setup to turn them down to the desired muzzle diameter (for an additional fee of course). The contour is a straight taper just like the Savage factory sporter barrels.

northlander
09-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Just so you don't feel ignored - SSS is closed until next week Tuesday (9/15). I just got that message off their answering system.

Jim Briggs
NSS

rdfrench
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks Jim, at least I won't be expecting a response this week. In looking at Fred's site it looks like he charges 40 bucks to turn the blank down to sporter weight. Do you guys think it would be cheaper for me to order a pre-turned sporter weight blank from either Douglas or Shilen and have Fred crown, chamber and cut the threads?

northlander
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Not sure what Fred's pricing is for your barrel but a Shilen would cost you $269.00 + $14.00 S&H on a drop ship order. I do not carry the Sporter Weight Barrels at this time so it would have to be a drop ship order.

Jim Briggs
NSS

rdfrench
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Ordered my barrel from SSS last week. There is a $40 charge to turn the blank down to another contour, but that beats carrying a varmint barrel deer hunting. Heck if I could sell that factory .270 barrel, it would pay for the barrel turning. Lisa says 4-6 weeks...can't wait ;D

Cycler
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Heck if I could sell that factory .270 barrel, it would pay for the barrel turning. Lisa says 4-6 weeks...can't wait ;D

Put it on the classified section here. It will sell.

rdfrench
09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
It's been on there for a few days now, but no takers. I woulda thought it would move a little better with deer season around the corner. Oh well no hurry...it's not eating anything :D