PDA

View Full Version : My new McGowen barrel

Jonl
05-12-2014, 02:41 PM
I am new to this site but I've seen a lot of discussion on McGowen barrels pro and con so I wanted to throw in my two cents. I have two new Savage rifles, both mod. 16 Weather warriors. One 7 mag that I purchased a year ago and the other 22-250 that I got because I liked the first one so much.. Both shot good with the factory barrel but I wanted a varmint barrel on the 22-250 and called Shilen to order one but the 4 to 6 month wait made me check on McGowen and the outlet store. I ordered a 9 twist barrel and after a week had it. Two day USPS priority took a week but that is another story. I also ordered a Choate tactical stock and bi-pod. I bedded the new .250 lug in JB Weld and my first three shots with 53 gr. Sierra Match king and 35 gr. H-380 at 100 were in one hole and measured as close as I can tell 0.15". The next load of 32.5gr. shot almost as well and 70 gr. Berger VLD shot a little over 1/4". Needless to say I was ecstatic as I have never shot any groups like this. The barrel cleans very easily and I can't imagine it needs to break in. I am going to put a McGowen on my 7 mag. Both my Savage rifles shoot better than any other stock rifle I have shot with the factory barrels but with the McGowen barrel this sucker shoots fabulous. If I can figure out how to attach a picture I want to put those two groups up because I am proud.

D.ID
05-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Congratulations.
I have done some the same way and had similar results. I believe your stock and barrel combination is a repeatable recipe for a shockingly accurate rifle.