PDA

View Full Version : Question on flat back receivers

shelbyfan
03-24-2010, 11:10 PM
I found one locally for $200 in decent shape. 270 win with an ugly wood stock. Is there any disadvantage to the flat back for customization such as replacing the barrel with a caliber that is useful for me, 243 or 300, and a stock that isn't so fugly?

Thanks.

Uncle Jack
03-24-2010, 11:18 PM
The only things to deal with is getting the right scope mounts and checking the action screw spacing when ordering a new stock. Barrel theads, recoil lugs, and barrel nuts are the same.

uj

82boy
03-24-2010, 11:21 PM
The only disadvantage the flats back have is the back was hand ground, and most times they was ground crooked. Never seen where this affected accuracy, and it is simple to fix, by bedding the bases.
The flat backs also did not have the accu-trigger, but the old style triggers are adjustable. Other than that they use the same parts such as barrels, recoil lugs, magazines, (prior to 2006) and other parts, as the round receivers.

dcloco
03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Nope. Good actions.

Find a long action stock that you like. Yours does not have a detachable mag system.

HTDUCK
03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm no expert as I'm new to the Savage rilfes but, from what I have seen here in the last couple of days looking for parts the big questions are:

Are you a right handed shooter? If so:

Stocks are easy,just a matter of what you want and is it in the sellers inventory at the time?

Barrel will depend on your chosen caliber,length,twist rate.Shank diameter can be determined before you buy said donor.

What I have found in the last week is this.
Finding a quality base for a l/h long action rifle is a matter of prefence and $$$$
R/H,no problemo.

shelbyfan
03-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Good to know. I knew parts were plentiful but I was not sure if the actions were of the same quality for building as the newer models. Now I just have to figure out what caliber I want to swap it to. I am thinking 300 win but also want either a 308 or 6.5x47. the 6.5 has always intrigued me.

Blue Avenger
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
the only 110s you want to stay away from if ease of rebarreling is the first gen with the bulge in the barrel for the rear site. these take a different barrel and bolt head. here is the head, do not have acurrent barrel pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/early110bolthead.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/?action=view&current=early110bolthead.jpg)

there was another to shy away from. They tried to save money during the early 70s
they made a cast receiver with the scope base that were part of the mold. [made one year only] warped during heat treating.

shelbyfan
03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
any way to tell the age by the serial number? 9713xx