PDA

View Full Version : Pillar bedding

romad97
05-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I completed my first pillar bedding job last night on a boyds thumbhole. I took my time, prepped everything properly and in my opinion the job turned out very well. I used devcon epoxy to set my pillars. Now the epoxy did stick well and it is definately holding the pillars in tightly but, after 12 hours it is still not what I would call rock solid. Is this something to be concerned about or does expoxy normally take longer to actually turn hard? Hopefully I am explaining this correctly. Also, the stock has been inside the house at a temperature of around 78 degrees ferenheit, if that has anything to do with curing.

jonbearman
05-11-2014, 10:51 AM
It may take more than 48 hours to be rock hard to the touch.

romad97
05-11-2014, 12:32 PM
This is what I kind of figured. Just wanted a little reassurance I guess since this is my first attempt at this and I have limited experience using epoxy.

FW Conch
05-11-2014, 12:50 PM
+1.....just be patient and give it all the time it needs to set up. It "will" happen and you'll be glad you waited! ;-))

romad97
05-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Yea I am in no real rush. I still need a couple of things to finish up this rifle before I can go shoot it anyhow. I will probably order a glass bedding kit today and let it sit until next weekend and do my bedding job then.

Maztech89
05-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Just use the devcon for your bedding, it has less shrinkage than most of the "bedding kit epoxies" and at times is "harder" too.