PDA

View Full Version : other barrel nutted rifles

jammied
05-10-2014, 10:44 PM
I noticed at the local gun shop that marlin and mossberg are also using a barrel nut, so one should be able in theory be able to swap barrels on those also. anyone have the thread specs and so on for them? Dang curiousity is off and running!! haha

jammied
05-10-2014, 11:04 PM
lol heck the marlin also has a accutrigger looking trigger

stomp442
05-10-2014, 11:06 PM
As I understand it the marlin is close and can be made to work but I am not sure on the others. I know the Ruger American is totally different. Best to just stick with savage barrels there are plenty of them around.

DrThunder88
05-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Don't forget the Remington 783!

Could the barrel nuts use the same wrenches? It'd be sort of a jerk-move to just change the number of teeth for each manufacturer. The Wheeler wrench I just got came with a wrench for smooth barrel nuts, which might be pressed into service on the Ruger, but the toothed nuts would be more difficult. I suppose there could be more stuff going on at the breech face as well, but it would be cool if the shanks were all interchangeable. Cool for those other rifle owners, I mean, who'd get access to the large aftermarket of 10/110 barrels. I'm just happy those barrels fit the Axis!

jammied
05-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Just done some home work the marlin xl7/xs7 are the same shank and thread as a savage. and the barrel nut wrench for a savage will fit the marlin. The bolt face on a marlin is a little thicker maybe .010 or so and would havto be checked for interference on the breech face. A flat file and a lil time should do the trick. Many have reported no probs at all with the swap. Even here on this forum

CARBON-ARCH
05-11-2014, 04:32 PM
They`re coming around....:cool:

BillPa
05-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Don't forget the Remington 783!

The joke today, "Lookie, Remington built a Savage"!:p

But lets not forget the Shilen DGR-DGV....
http://www.shilen.com/images/rifle/assembly.jpg

In addition to going nuts you can add the floating bolthead being used by Shilen, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington and Bighorn.
http://www.shilen.com/images/rifle/bolt.jpg
The DGR-V bolt.

What baffles me (no pun intended) why have the brains(sic) at Savage been working hard to be like the others while the others are trying to be like the Savage, the totally worthless smooth nuts and bottom bolt release(sear) for two?

Bill

jammied
05-11-2014, 09:51 PM
lol yep they are comming around.

I hate the bottom bolt release and the smooth nuts pita to work with. The savage company has always been the type to think outside the box now they are trying to jump in it!! Like the dang recoil lugs on the accustock.

for some reason I never looked at the remington 783's what thread are they? same as a remington 700?

While I was in the reloading/gun room today I did pick up my new mcgowen 6.5 creedmoor barrel and dropped a new unfired case in it and there was plenty of case sticking out to use that barrel on a marlin.

Now I'm gonna havta find a marlin for the right kind of money just out of curiousity. This whole diy switch barrel thing is addictive!!! there should be a support group for us lol

bootsmcguire
05-12-2014, 12:37 AM
The Marlin shank and the Savage shank are the same and can be used interchangeably in regards to barrels. There are some older threads here discussing this and IIRC several members at that time were switching Marlin and Savage barrels with no other modifications to the action or bolt.

FWIW I have helped a couple of buddies fix their Mossberg rifles and I (keep in mind I am a huge fan of the Mossberg 500/835 type shotguns) was not impressed. Mossberg had great customer service and sent out the parts we needed right away, but it just didn't seem to be a strong and well thought out of a design to me. The nut, the floating and head the accu-trigger copy were all fine and seemed to be decent copies of Savage, but the bolt release and safety levers are weak and held in by very small shoulder bolts that are prone to breakage.

I don't have a clue what the 783's are using. I have not looked into them.

DrThunder88
05-12-2014, 03:33 AM
What baffles me (no pun intended) why have the brains(sic) at Savage been working hard to be like the others while the others are trying to be like the Savage, the totally worthless smooth nuts and bottom bolt release(sear) for two?

My guess, on the barrel nuts anyway, is that Savage got some focus group or other marketing data that indicated people associated barrel nuts with low cost (you or I might say "value"), so the Axis still has the iconic toothed nut like other manufacturers' entry-level guns. The 1X/11X rifles have smooth nuts in a vain attempt to evoke the look of other manufacturers' "legacy" rifles. We'll know that Savage has gone completely over the edge if the 1X/11X rifles start shipping with shouldered shank barrels!

As for the bolt release, who can say? Maybe it's the same cause as the barrel nuts, but the stocks all appear to still be cut for the upper lever.

BillPa
05-12-2014, 09:43 PM
My guess, on the barrel nuts anyway, is that Savage got some focus group or other marketing data that indicated people associated barrel nuts with low cost

Might be but I think it was for appearances only, the "Ugly Savage" moniker, but the same guys will pull a rifle out of a case that looks like a prosthetic leg and think its a thing of beauty. Strange.

Bill

drybean
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Might be but I think it was for appearances only, the "Ugly Savage" moniker, but the same guys will pull a rifle out of a case that looks like a prosthetic leg and think its a thing of beauty. Strange.

Bill

+1 you nailed it

jammied
05-12-2014, 11:28 PM
I read an article that said remington added workforce and shop area to accommodate building more 783's and some marlins. Searched all over the world wide web and can't seem to find the shank and thread specs on the 783. Dang by now one would think a factory swap barrel remington would have been a hot topic on swaps. But then again most remington people swear there is nothing else other than a 700 and snub nose at the 783 cause it's different haha

DrThunder88
05-13-2014, 03:56 AM

BillBut that's the thing: do they think it's ugly because it's ugly, or do they think it's ugly because it's perceived to be worth less? Aesthetically, there isn't much of a difference. The only thing that springs to mind is Savage's equal-height receiver rings compared to the Remington 700 or Winchester 70, which both have shorter rear rings. The prominence of Savage's rear rings is accentuated further by the stupidly-cut stocks and lack of jazz hanging off the back of the bolt. Still, I'm not totally convinced that, aside from the stocks, Savage 1X/11X rifles could objectively be said to be uglier than other legacy model rifles. Axises, that's another story...

03mossy
05-13-2014, 10:38 AM
This whole diy switch barrel thing is addictive!!! there should be a support group for us lol

You found it brother! Although this place is more enablers than supporters

northlander
05-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Northland has a barrel system for the Remington 783 as well as the upgraded recoil lugs and barrel nuts. From everything that we have seen the Savage barrels are not a straight swap for the Remington 783 actions. They will not head space correctly.

Jim Briggs
NSS

jammied
05-14-2014, 07:50 PM
So the 783 has the same thread as the savage?