PDA

View Full Version : Savage target action 3.4 spacing

Cat 64
05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Just bought a Savage target action (RBLP single shot) and learned the new 'edition' is not 4.4 screw spacing any longer but back to 3.4.
Hope you guys can direct me to some sites where I can buy a stock for that platform. I will put a 308 Shilen barrel on it. Thank you.

MrMarty51
05-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Savage 110 barrel, Stainless, .280 Ackley improved. $89.99 if You join, $99.99 for non members.
I know its not a .308, but, the .280 sure are flat and fast shootin.
I just seen this ad this morning, it sorta stuck in Mine head.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/savage-110-280-ackley-improved-barrel.aspx?a=1703353

Cat 64
05-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Savage 110 barrel, Stainless, .280 Ackley improved. $89.99 if You join, $99.99 for non members.
I know its not a .308, but, the .280 sure are flat and fast shootin.
I just seen this ad this morning, it sorta stuck in Mine head.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/savage-110-280-ackley-improved-barrel.aspx?a=1703353

Thank you for your information. I was inquiring about a place where I can acquire a good stock to complement the target action mentioned above.

MrMarty51
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Thank you for your information. I was inquiring about a place where I can acquire a good stock to complement the target action mentioned above.
My apologies, I thought You were looking for a barrel, after reading the original post again, I guess it was`nt a barrel You were looking for.
OH well, maybe someone else in the forum`ll read about the barrel and be a needing one. :p:disillusionment:

Cat 64
05-09-2014, 11:54 PM
My apologies, I thought You were looking for a barrel, after reading the original post again, I guess it was`nt a barrel You were looking for.
OH well, maybe someone else in the forum`ll read about the barrel and be a needing one. :p:disillusionment:

No problemo. I am sure someone will find that link useful. Many people need replacement barrels.

rjtfroggy
05-10-2014, 07:31 AM
As far as I know you only have two options, Factory or Custom and both are $$$. I got the Shehane laminate for the 4.4 but he also has the 3.4 (same Price ). His time line is more than reasonable mine was 4 weeks actually ended up 6, but they had a family member pass away during the time so it was more than reasonable.
The stock fit like a glove and that is reflected in the price but you do get what you pay for.Answer to your next ? just shy of $900.

Cat 64
05-10-2014, 08:28 AM
As far as I know you only have two options, Factory or Custom and both are $$$. I got the Shehane laminate for the 4.4 but he also has the 3.4 (same Price ). His time line is more than reasonable mine was 4 weeks actually ended up 6, but they had a family member pass away during the time so it was more than reasonable.
The stock fit like a glove and that is reflected in the price but you do get what you pay for.Answer to your next ? just shy of $900.

Great info but you didn't tell me where to go for that. What company....website. Thanks

Westcliffe01
05-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I think that if it is a single shot action, it need not be a big deal. The action does not have the cutout for the magazine, so the rear action screw is moved away from the trigger to a region where there is a much better surface for bedding properly.

If you get any stock for a 4.4" blind magazine, the worst you would have to do is epoxy in place a suitable piece of hardwood in the magazine recess. Then pillar bed like usual (you would have to drill a new hole in the stock forward of the trigger guard). Bed it like usual after putting in pillars. To secure the trigger guard, you would also have to install a threaded insert in the wood where the rear action screw usually goes. Obviously the trigger guard screws don't need much torque to hold it in place and you would just have to remember to leave them alone when taking the action out the stock.

The skill level needed to do a job like this should not bee very high. If you want a fancy composite stock, the manufacturer could probably do a proper job for you in the first place if they know your action.

rjtfroggy
05-11-2014, 06:58 AM
See if this works http://scopeusout.com/custom-rifle-stocks/target-stocks/.
Nice guy to work with and his work is fantastic.

Cat 64
05-11-2014, 10:29 AM
See if this works http://scopeusout.com/custom-rifle-stocks/target-stocks/.
Nice guy to work with and his work is fantastic.

Thank you. I will give them a call tomorrow. Would a McMillan A4 work for this action? And if you order one from them what is a custom lead time. Also does Stockys order stocks for you?

Cat 64
05-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Common guys... I learned that there a number of this actions sold out there....someone is buying them...and if so what stocks you guys are putting them in...or what are you planning to put them on...

rjtfroggy
05-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Cat read my first post again. I pretty much answered your question, most guys buying these actions are building Bench Rest guns and are going custom for their stocks.
You need to get on the phone and call some and see if they make them.

Cat 64
05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Cat read my first post again. I pretty much answered your question, most guys buying these actions are building Bench Rest guns and are going custom for their stocks.
You need to get on the phone and call some and see if they make them.

I have been at it this morning. Hope something materializes. Thank you.

FW Conch
05-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Another option you have is to use a "Whidden V Block", from Whidden Gunworks. The one that fits your action, they describe as fitting the Palma action. You can install it into the stock of your choice yourself, have your smith install it, or Whidden will do it for you. The block sells for $90. The block adds considerable weight to the stock, but it makes a super solid bed. Check them out on line. ;-))

markb317
06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
H&S Precision makes a stock for your action

Cat 64
06-17-2014, 11:41 PM
H&S Precision makes a stock for your action

Thanks. I wanted something with a different look. I ended up ordering a McMillan A4.