PDA

View Full Version : premium barrel or not?

tking308
05-08-2014, 01:38 AM
I'm going to build a 30-06 on a savage action. I'm trying to decide if I should spend the extra $ on a premium barrel. 95% of the shots made will be under 300 yards but I'd like to know that it would hold moa out to 500-600. So is a premium barrel worth the cost or would a factory savage/Stevens fit the bill?

LoneWolf
05-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Depends if you are shooting for hunting purposes or precision target purposes. I got a McGowen Prefit that holds sub half MOA with the majority of factory ammo I've put through it. I'm still making final tunes to my hand loads that's on pause till I get home. Most of Savages factory barrel are capable of this with handloads from all the experiences I have read on this forum on less there was a legitimate issue with the rifle rather it was the mounting of the optics or free floating of the barrel/tang of the action.

It also depends if you will be shooting long strings in a short period of time as then barrel heat becomes a factor in maintaining accuracy. Really you have to explain more of what you are trying to do. I've seen guys make 500-600yds shots with a factory Axis in 30-06, but they weren't going to do it 20 times in twenty minutes without the barrel getting so hot that you had no idea where the rounds would go.

Most barrels done by a reputable smith or company will do what you want them to do though.

OMGTKK
05-08-2014, 01:54 AM
I have 3 Savage rifles with factory bull barrels in .223, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. All 3 are sub-MOA to their effective ranges. If and when the barrels need replacing I will probably go aftermarket. For the mild range you are looking to shoot at you'll be fine with a factory barrel.

tking308
05-08-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm not looking for a precision target gun. If so, obviously a premium barrel would be the choice. I just want it to shoot moa out to 500 should I ever want to practice at that range. I guess my question should have simply been, will a factory Savage/ Stevens or ER Shaw shoot moa out to 500-600?

GaCop
05-08-2014, 05:38 AM
My experience with the ER Shaw barrels has been a crap shoot. I've had very good ones and I've had some bad ones too that wouldn't shoot MOA. To date, I've never experienced a bad Savage barrel.

LoneWolf
05-08-2014, 05:46 AM
If you decide to go with a Shaw barrel I would get in contact with Apache Gun Works. He does good work there.

D.ID
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I can't sat about ER shaw but.........
MOA out to 500 (factory savage) with factory ammo= probably. With handloads=yes.
MOA is easily achievable with a factory gun, occasional lemons aside.
If you need 1/2 MOA spring for a mcgowen, criterion or shilin altho most savages will PROBABLY be capable of it IF you are.
If you need 1/4 MOA you should be looking at kreiger, hart, brux and the like.
I have tikka, savage, remington and winchester factory barrels (listed best to worst) but most importantly: every one of them will do MOA out to five with handloads, even the old neglected beat up winchester can do that.

bootsmcguire
05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
If you decide to go with a Shaw barrel I would get in contact with Apache Gun Works. He does good work there.

Apache Gun Works (from what experience I have with him) will build you a barrel on whatever brand blank you want. You may have to wait for him to find and receive your specific brand of blank. Personally from my experience, the man machining the blank has as much or more influence on how well the barrel shoots as the brand does. That being said, Jim does great work and has made me some real tack driver barrels and I have not had him use "Premium" blanks to build mine. Give Apache Gunworks a call and tell 'em Boots sent ya. ;)

emtrescue6
05-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Based on the limited information you have provided....a factory barreled Savage should do everything you want on a properly set up rifle with a load it likes and you doing your part. Shooting out to 500+ yards is as much, if not more about the shooter than the rifle.

GaCop
05-10-2014, 07:10 AM
A 223 I built my son using a 1 in 9 twist Savage factory fluted stainless steel barrel shoots sub MOA at 400 yards using the 69gr SMK's and Varget powder. It shoots equally well with the 75gr A-Max out to 600 yards.