PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 and Hogue

Dogtired
05-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Soooo....checking out the Hogue help website, it gives all sorts of info on the Savage 110 and how they have stocks that fit pretty much everything...except the Stevens 200. Anyone have any clue why in the heck that might be? I have one with a centerfeed mag. I'm still torn between the Choate Tactical, B&C Medalist, and the Hogue full aluminum bed. Choate is a drop in, B&C takes some modding, and I can't figure out the Hogue....

From their site:

-Stock designed to fit all Long or Short Action rifles of 2nd and 3rd Generation. Exception will not fit rifles with side push-button magazine release buttons.
-Side button DBM rifles can be converted to fit the Hogue stock, they must be converted to a top feed type magazine. Replacement of the mag box is required.

-Some newer Savage Rifles have the detachable magazine well molded into the factory stock. Our detachable magazine stock will fit this rifle IF the detachable magazine floorplate and associated magazine is purchased. Parts can be ordered from Savage.

-Does NOT fit the Savage Axis.

-Will fit regardless of Staggered feed(old feed system, box mag attached to receiver) or Centerline feed(new feed system, box mag held inside stock). Yes, stock is adaptable.

-Will fit regardless of S/A 2nd/3rd Gen screw spacing. Yes, stock is adaptable.

-It is possible to custom fit to a 1st Gen S/A. Requires relocating front screw hole, shimming recoil lug 3/10", removing little plastic at front end of mag well, and slightly reshaping barrel channel at barrel nut. Results are good but requires skill of an accomplished machinist/gunsmith.

-Can be fit to 20ga Model 220. Receiver and trigger guard fits equal to standard L/A centerfire but floorplate is unique to 20ga. Requires removing moderate amount of material at rear of magwell and filling a cosmetic gap at front of floorplate. Moderate gunsmith skill necessary.

-Long Action(L/A) Generally a three digit Eg. 110,112,114etc.
-Short Action(S/A). Generally a two digit model# Eg. 10,12,14etc.

-"Blind" magazine version (no ammunition opening on bottom of stock)
-"DBM" (detachable box mag. or hinge style floor plate)
-Same stock will fit DBM or hinge floor plate.

-Made with thin rubber "seal" at Cocking Indicator location, seal can be easily trimmed for custom fit. Cocking indicator is also used as lever for bolt removal. Some rifles are made without cocking indicator, they have a bolt removal button attached to the trigger guard. Leave "seal" in place to conceal gap and help keep debris out.

-Will fit narrow or wide trigger guards.

-Will fit thick or thin trigger guards. (shim supplied, looks like a hex nut)

-Will not fit 1st Gen. S/A rifles

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Reference action size (center-to-center screw spacing front two screws not counting rear trigger guard screw)
L/A (all years) 5.062" staggered and centerline feed
S/A, 1st Gen (1958-1987) = 4.522" staggered feed
S/A, 2nd Gen (1998-2005) = 4.275" staggered feed
S/A, 3rd Gen (2006 & newer) = 4.40" centerline feed
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Does not fit Stevens 200
-The stock is a free float design. The barrel doesn't touch the stock when properly installed. Some rifles will require fitting due to variances.

-Stock is "drop-in" design. However, if glass bedding is desired, the internal hard plastic surfaces can be roughed up to provide good adhesion in critical bedding areas. The greatest accuracy potential will be obtained using the Full-length aluminum bed block stock versions. Sanded aluminum will provide an excellent adhesion surface for epoxies and bedding compounds. The stock's external rubber surface bonds poorly with epoxies, but is irrelevant to the internal hard plastic action contact surfaces.
-The barrel channel contour can be adjusted / re-cut to a given barrel contour. The easiest method to remove rubber or plastic is with a Dremel tool using a sanding drum installed. Use 4-6 plus layers of masking tape to protect the external stock surfaces that are NOT to be sanded. Work slow and check progress often. The material can not be put back once removed.

-Recommended Torque 55-65 IN/LBS

bootsmcguire
05-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Your Stevens as you said is Short Action Centerfeed and all Stevens are top release. That is the same as the "SA, 3rd Gen (2006 & newer) = 4.40" centerfline feed" as they describe above. I can't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't fit the Stevens 200. Especially when they say its adaptable between the 2nd and 3rd gen regardless of SF or CF.

stewart3
05-08-2014, 12:31 AM
I believe he has long action which should fit.

bootsmcguire
05-08-2014, 12:37 AM
I believe he has long action which should fit.

Good catch. Still same points apply. No reason I can think of why it wouldn't fit.

Dogtired
05-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Same thing I'm thinking. It's the same friggin' rifle, isn't it? (Long Action, that is :cool:)

jonbearman
05-08-2014, 11:16 AM
All they do at savage is stamp the darn thing with the stevens name and sell it as a no frills affordable rifle.If it is a long action centerfeed then anything in the 110 series will fit it depending on if it is stagger feed or centerfeed.

Dogtired
05-08-2014, 10:37 PM
So, just another case of a company that doesn't know it's market I assume.

mousemotors
05-13-2014, 10:16 PM
As long as the screw spacing is 5.0625 like mine it will fit perfectly.