PDA

View Full Version : Long Berger Bullets in 243

ColColt
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM
I thought I might try some heavier bullets in the Predator Hunter 243 and found some Berger Match Grade Hybrid Target bullets. That is one looong bullet. Seated to where it's .015" from the lands the base of the bullet is right at the junction of where the shoulder meets the body. I've never had to seat one that deep before. I don't know how well this bullet may work. Could be I'll get a keyhole effect. The box says it's for a 1:8" twist but when I ordered them that info was not available. Anyone tried these bullets?

Westcliffe01
05-07-2014, 10:29 PM
What weight was the bullet and what is the twist rate of your barrel ? While the Bergers are long pointy bullets, I find the ogive to be quite far back and have not felt that I had to seat mine too deep. In my case the seating limitation is always the throat and never the magazine (CF magazines generally have lots of room relative to the throat and if that does not work there is always the long action... I have loaded 95gr and 105gr and currently can't get my hands on either...

ColColt
05-07-2014, 10:33 PM
I thought I had specified the bullet weight but see I didn't...105 gr. I used the Hornady LNL OAL gauge and bullet comparator to see where I was from the lands and then seated .015" deeper. The twist is 9.25".

BTW-I got those 105's from Butch's Reloading.