PDA

View Full Version : Stock decision while waiting...

Jigsisme
05-07-2014, 01:29 AM
So here is the 1st of many questions. I'm buying a Savage 10 pc 308 5r 20" fluted/threaded rifle. I "think" its a decent deal as its like new condition with less than 150 rounds, a Millet scope (may keep or upgrade), Weaver tactical rings and rail and bipod for $1k. Is this a good deal or should I pass? I don't want a different model as this 1 is pretty much what I want.
I want to either put it in a XLR chassis or a B&C stock. I like the B&C but having complications finding the options I want. If I went with the B&C how do I get the stock to accept the factory mag and/or the modified mags for more rounds? If I were to get the stock who does the quality work doing this mod? Cost?
This is why the XLR is attractive as it will be a direct bolt in and will accept 5-10 rnd mags immediately.
I appreciate the help!!
Jigs

GaCop
05-07-2014, 05:42 AM
What twist is the barrel? You'll need to load a 175 or 178 grain bullet to reach out to 1k AND stay sonic. Hard to say if the short barrel will allow the bullets to stay out of the transonic zone which plays havoc with accuracy. I can't comment on the scope as I've never used one. The BC stock is a very good choice but for 1k shooting but if you going with a mag box, the XLR will be the ticket. Ditch the bipod and go with a bench rest and rear bag. YMMV and this is just my humble opinion after learning from my mistakes at 1k.

jonbearman
05-07-2014, 09:10 AM
What is YMMV mean? www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com They are the guys to call for the inletting and new bottom metal to use accuracy international mags.They can inlet any stock.

barrel-nut
05-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Your Mileage May Vary. All-purpose disclaimer.

Jigsisme
05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Talked to CDI (great folks!!) and they can do the inletting for the DBM...now, which B&C, the A2 or A5!!??

shoalwater
05-07-2014, 07:45 PM
A5 will not work with CDI bottom metal, ask Jeff, mine was an expensive guinea pig for them. Just to clarify, they took great care of me and made it right, they are good people.

eddiesindian
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Its more than likely a 1-10 twist. You,ll like the 5R barrel. (I promise)
I shoot simple 150grSMK,s. with a bipod from 100 out to 1100 (so far) with no problems other than reading the wind correctly.
Staying sonic has alot to do with altitude/elevation. Heavier pills require more umph @ sea level or lower elevations. Lighter pill,s require less and believe you me, that 20" will suprise you even with light 150,s.
I shoot anywhere from 3800-4200ft elev. and have never run into unstable 150/168/175/178 pills at distance. 100-1100yds.
If your at higher elevations then I personally wouldnt worry about transonic woe,s.
Back to your question: I think 1k is a fare price for all your getting.
FYI... maybe a Savage Model 10FCP-K is in your price range as well.