PDA

View Full Version : Sims LimbSaver Rifle Barrel De-Resonator?

Sporting Lad
05-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Sims LimbSaver Rifle Barrel De-Resonator

Are there any members using this device? It sounds too good to be true. Does it work as promised, or is it just another gimmick?

emtrescue6
05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Gimmik in my opinion...if your rifle is properly bedded and barrel floated and everything is properly tuned (action screws properly torqued) you won't need any gimmick like this. That being said, I know people that swear by the,....but these are also the same people that use leadsleds and can't understand why they keep having scope failures and people that use bi-pods on the flimsy tupperware stocks and can't understand why their groups all over the place....

coyote268
05-07-2014, 03:20 PM
I respectfully disagree. I have a Browning BAR in 7mm mag that has a custom trigger and is a pretty good shooter. Just for fun I put one of them on it and couldn't believe how the group tightened up. Due to a shoulder injury and loss sight in my shooting eye I now shoot left handed rifles using a lead sled while sighting in. Of course I have Leupolds on all my rifles so I havn't had any scope failure. By the way, I am a retired gunsmith.

stomp442
05-07-2014, 04:32 PM
I've never had a problem getting a rifle to shoot well without but I can see where they would be appealing and probably work well for shooters using factory ammo and hunters using feather weight barrels that can get very whippy under recoil.

emtrescue6
05-07-2014, 05:42 PM
I respectfully disagree. I have a Browning BAR in 7mm mag that has a custom trigger and is a pretty good shooter. Just for fun I put one of them on it and couldn't believe how the group tightened up. Due to a shoulder injury and loss sight in my shooting eye I now shoot left handed rifles using a lead sled while sighting in. Of course I have Leupolds on all my rifles so I havn't had any scope failure. By the way, I am a retired gunsmith.

I would say this may well be the exception....autoloaders/lever guns aren't as easily tuned because there is little you can do to the action/barrel for tuning.

As far as the leadsled comment, I stand by it...In my younger years I used one because I didn't know any better...I especially used in when shooting my 7mm Mag....it destroyed 2 scopes before my local gunsmith (who also owned the shop where I had bought the scopes)...the second scope destroyed was, you...a Leupold VX III...I have had 4 scopes fail on me in all my years (2 on that 7 Mag...the Leupy and a Swift...both lifetime warranty scopes that were replaced) a cheapo Simmons that came on a rifle and a Bushnell (rifle fell with me down a 40' cliff....rifle and I fared much better than the scope...haha. Anyway, I worked in Portland, OR at the time and hand delivered both scopes to their shop there...the one that had been on the 7mm was a failure and they just replaced it, the other (which had been on a 243) simply stopped moving....they refirb'd it and said it was probably just old age...it was over 20 years old....I buy mostly Swift and Nikon's now....

coyote268
05-08-2014, 10:25 AM
You make a good point. I tried it on my Browning as it really isn't bedded like my other rifles. All my other are either pillar or glass bedded and shoot well. I also understand your concern about the scope failure. I've used it on 5 rifles with o problem (yet), but due to my age and physical condition plus having to shoot left handed it sort of leaves me with very few options. It sucks getting old.