PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 VT .308

Cat 64
05-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Anybody has some words of wisdom regarding the above mentioned rifle? I just went by Dick's sports and they have that rifle on the shelf. Ok...what I want to do is shoot this as is for a while. Is this a decent rifle? Is it accurate right out the box. Is this a rifle you would buy for yourself? Is the action good quality? Later I would like to change the barrel and perhaps put an AI stock on. What is the screw spacing for this model? Also I saw that the barrel nut is round and does not have any slots to allow for the use of the wrench I have already. Is it easy to remove that barrel and afterwards can I replace that nut with as NSS-like barrel nut? Also I am wondering about the trigger. How low can you adjust it on this rifle? I know...so many questions. I will welcome any pertinent advise. Thank you.

Kat

Cat 64
05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Also looking at the Savage 10FCPK for the same general reasons. Any experience with this one?

Cat 64
05-06-2014, 04:21 PM
And while I am at it, what triggers are availbe out there to change the one existing on the 10FCPK and also is there ever an inerest for people in buying the factory stock if I take the rifle apart? Just trying to stay proactive here.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Search around in this subsection of the forum. This question is asked about every 2 days.

Seems like most people are generally pretty happy with the VT.

Plowdaddy519
09-29-2014, 02:35 AM
I have one in .308, the only issue I had with it was the cheek rest on the stock not being tall enough for me. After some modification to the stock to correct that, I was able to get sub 1/2" groups @100yd with the cheap 150gr Winchester power points off a bipod. So far, I'm very pleased with it.

Sorry, just realized this post was nearly 5 months ago

Cat 64
09-29-2014, 07:10 AM
I have one in .308, the only issue I had with it was the cheek rest on the stock not being tall enough for me. After some modification to the stock to correct that, I was able to get sub 1/2" groups @100yd with the cheap 150gr Winchester power points off a bipod. So far, I'm very pleased with it.

Sorry, just realized this post was nearly 5 months ago

No problem. Appreciate the input. Since that post I got the parts for building my own rifle to include a target action RBLP, a CBI 308 bull barrel 28", a McMillan A4 stock (which is not here yet) and a NF scope. This will be a switch barrel rifle. Hope you are enjoying your shooting time.