PDA

View Full Version : Which Boyd's Stock for my Savage 16 Hunter XP .308

acnewman55
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Looking to shed the tupperware and upgrade - but I'm on a budget so I think I'm going with a Boyd's stock.

I'm looking to keep weight down, as this will be my back-country deer/bear rifle.

Options I'm considering are:
Classic - 2.8 lbs.
Prairie Hunter - 2.8 lbs.
Featherweight Thumbhole - 2.3 - 2.5 Lbs
Heritage - no weight listed? (the images are actually identical to the Prairie Hunter, anyone know the difference between the two?)

Just looking for feedback - good experiences or bad.

I guess I'm leaning towards the Prairie Hunter because of the raised cheek.

Thanks!

FW Conch
05-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Featherweight Thumbhole ;-)) I love mine! The cheek piece on that stock is raised plenty.

When you opt for stiffness and stability, you gain a bit of weight over the factory "Tupperware". Unless you go with a very expensive carbon fiber stock.

Good luck.....Good shooting

acnewman55
05-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Featherweight Thumbhole ;-)) I love mine! The cheek piece on that stock is raised plenty.

When you opt for stiffness and stability, you gain a bit of weight over the factory "Tupperware". Unless you go with a very expensive carbon fiber stock.

Good luck.....Good shooting

The featherweight thumbhole sure seems to be the most popular option - and it is the most-lightweight of the Boyd's stocks by a few tenths of a pound. I think I need to find someone locally that has a rifle set into this stock and try to get a feel for it.

wbm
05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Have both the Prairie Hunter and the Featherweight Thumbhole...I like both so it is just personal preference. To me the bottom line is you can spend a lot more on stocks and not get more than you do with the Boyds.

FW Conch
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
+ 1.....;-))