PDA

View Full Version : Savage Action question

drysideshooter
05-04-2014, 08:02 PM
I have been looking for a Savage short action for a while with no luck. Haven't seen one on gunbroker for a while and no good deals on used guns locally. I want to build a medium contour 24" barrel 223.

I am thinking maybe I should buy new and then sell what I don't need. Locally I can get the Hog Hunter with the threaded barrel for a good price. What would anyone estimate I could get for the takeoff 20" threaded barrel? Would anyone pay anything for the hog hunter stock?

Any advice or thoughts would be really appreciated.

jonbearman
05-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Go to: www.northlandshootersupply.com His number is 1-763-682-4296

drysideshooter
05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks jonbearman. Would one of the actions available on that site be any different/better than the action out of the model 11 Hog Hunter? I can get the complete Hog Hunter for less and have a takeoff barrel and stock to sell, which is why I ask.

drysideshooter
05-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Anyone? I thought I would be able to get an answer here.

jonbearman
05-05-2014, 01:23 PM
It would be the same but that way you can just buy it in pieces and pick the best from day one.Then you don't have to go through the hassles of selling the pieces.Personally I would buy a used rifle in good condition like a stevens 200 in a caliber with the right bolt face you need.If you cant buy one with a .373(.223) bolt and just change the bolt head. You don't need a new one because it is like buying a car and leaving,changing your mind and loosing 50 percent off the top.

emtrescue6
05-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Pay the $15 and become a paid member here....there are always deals to be had in the classifieds here, think there is a short action (243?) in there now for a good price.

The availability of actions has been getting tighter and tighter lately....for my last build I ended up buying a complete rifle...

limige
05-06-2014, 03:25 AM
Depends what you want. The hog hunter is a blued action right?

NSS sells the blued action for less than $400 I think when he has them.

But the varmint is a SS action with the light accutrigger and comes with ss nut and recoil lug which is another $50 value for just over $500.
Unfortunately he's sold out.

The target action is a single shot much better foundation for a benches rig. Target accutrigger with nut and lug for $540.

If your not looking for a SS I suggest becoming a paid member and watch the classifieds.

drysideshooter
05-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the information. I think I will become a paid member so I can keep an eye on the classifieds. I scour the local gunshops regularly too. I ended up getting a Weatherby 223 barreled action yesterday and ordered a B&C Medalist stock for it yesterday.

Was just looking to put together a lighter 223 bolt gun for coyotes. I have a couple of heavier varmint 700's and some great bull barreled AR's but have been doing a little more walking lately and would prefer a lighter rifle. I have shot a few with my Limber Montana 06, which is light, but overkill.

I wish the stock selection for Savage SA's was as good as some if the popular rifles. It seems like there is a better selection for the Savage LA's

jpdown
05-07-2014, 12:05 AM
In my experience, parting out a new Savage rifle for the action has become less attractive over the last couple of years as prices have increased. The classified section on this site for paid members is your best source for actions and spare parts if you are patient. If you are going to buy new and like the Accutrigger, then the Savage 11 or 16 Trophy Hunter XP would be your best bet. You can get around $90.00 for a new take-off Nikon BDC scope and $80 to $100 for the barrel, especially if it is in a hot caliber like .260 or 6.5 Creedmore. The tupperware stock is almost worthless. But since you want a 223, it would be more cost effective to buy in that caliber so that you don't have to purchase a 223 magazine box with follower and trade out bolt heads. If you are going to change out the trigger to a Timney, Rifle Basix or SSS Competition, then the Savage 11 Hunter XP would be the way to go. A Boyd's lamainated stock is a cost-effective replacement for the tupperware stock. Go online to Buds Gun Shop and compare prices between models. Then subtract out what you can get for the new take-off parts you don't want and figure out if you can save money on the cost of a new action and if it is worth all the work and time spent trying to move the extra parts and replacing them with better aftermarket parts.

drysideshooter
05-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks jpdown. Looking at what the actions go for when they are in stock it probably isn't worth the hassle of buying a complete rifle. I'm just okay on Accutriggers. My son's 100/200yd .22 competition rifle has an Accutrigger that was worked on by a local smith to break at 1lb. I have shot quite a few other rifles with Accutriggers and they are certainly a good triggger, and you can get them in some inexpensive rifles, which is great. I prefer the stock triggers in most of my Kimbers and Coopers, and I have been really happy with a couple of Timney triggers.

At least locally, Remington 700 actions are pretty easy to find. I won't do a barrel on a Rem myself though, but for $100 or so I can get a local smith to do it and for another $75 can get the action trued as well. There are things I really like about Savage rifles, but I have to wonder if building a rifle from an action if (for me at least) it doesn't make more sense to go with a Rem 700 and have a larger choice of stocks.

jpdown
05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
If you want to use a Remington 700 action, take a look at a CBI "Remage" barrel from Northland Shooter Supply. Then you can change out the barrel and headspace it yourself with a barrel nut.

drysideshooter
05-07-2014, 11:01 PM
That is slicker than heck jpdown! I was just reading a bit on their website. I had no idea such a thing existed for Rem actions. Thanks for the heads up.

stewart3
05-08-2014, 12:21 AM
You will need to have the 700 inlet for the recoil lug.

acnewman55
05-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Tag