PDA

View Full Version : New Savage - Dissappointing Results

jdon88
03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I took my new 11 FCNS in .308 to the range a few days ago for the first time but had mixed results. After first few shots to zero the scope I started shooting groups. First few shots were right next to each other, which I expected, then next shot would be 4" away. I thought it might settle down since new barrel but never did. I used 3 different types ammo but all acted the same. Typical result would be first shot right where I was aiming, 2nd shot 3" to the right and 2" low, 3rd shot in the same hole as first one, 4th shot 2" high and left. I was shooting at 100 yds, no wind but steady rain. Ammo was mostly PRVI 165 gr SP, also tried Federal American Eagle 150 gr BTHP, and Hornady Match 168 gr BTHP. Scope is a new Vortex diamondback with Burris Zee rings with inserts and 2 piece base. Only thing I can think of is maybe ring screws not tight enough? The scope seems tight in the rings, doesn't slide around. I wasn't sure how tight to make it and didn't want to overtighten. I used loctite on the base screws and snugged then down with more force than the ring screws. Any ideas?

Eric in NC
03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Bad scope, loose mounts, loose action screw, or bullets hitting rain drops (it happens).

oldguy
03-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Couild be a stock problem, is it free floated, check stock screws see if snug. Sounds like pressure on barrel at some point.

jdon88
03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I didn't check the stock screws, assumed everything is good since its brand new accustock. I'll try it again in a few days, first I'll make the rings tighter then try using an old scope if it continues. Thanks.

wbm
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Couild be a stock problem, is it free floated, check stock screws see if snug. Sounds like pressure on barrel at some point.

From your description you have somewhat of a triangular group with shots 1,3,4 with shot two down and away to the right. I have been where you are right now and sometimes it is difficult to weed out the exact cause. However, most of the time the problem has been related to stock issues and specifically with the way the recoil lug contacts the stock. Make very sure the bottom of the recoil lug is not touching the stock. Take a piece of index card and slide it under the edges of the tang and make sure the tang is not touching the stock.
After checking out the things mentioned above, take just one brand of ammunition (I would stay with the match stuff) and shoot 5 shot groups. Keep track of the shot patterns.

oldguy
03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
I didn't check the stock screws, assumed everything is good since its brand new accustock. I'll try it again in a few days, first I'll make the rings tighter then try using an old scope if it continues. Thanks.

I had one from factory that was loose and like you did not check it would throw a round every 3-4 shot.

BobT
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
or bullets hitting rain drops (it happens).

I have always wondered about that myself but never could think of a way to prove it.

jdon,

I tighten ring screws to about 18 inch pounds, another thing you could try is loosen the action screws and make sure the recoil lug is back against the stock.

Bob

dmack
03-24-2010, 11:21 AM

If you re-torque the action screws, http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,29836.0.html

Eric in NC
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
or bullets hitting rain drops (it happens).

I have always wondered about that myself but never could think of a way to prove it.

Bob

Seen it happen several times when shooting 400-600 yards on rainy days. You see basketball sized puffs of vapor pop up between the shooter and the target (sometimes several of them).

pdog06
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM

If you re-torque the action screws, http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,29836.0.html

Since it is an accustock make sure you tighten it the way it says in this link. Considering the place you bought the gun probably assembled it, they may have not done it this way.

Hylander
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
I have the exact same issue going on, not a Savage but an 03A3.
Rifle is normally .6 MOA, but after new stock install it is doing just as you describe.
Mine I know is a Stock issue, that I hope I have corrected now.
Just need to go to the range to retest.

jdon88
03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
I found the rear action screw a little loose, took a quarter turn to make it as tight as the other 2. I hope to get to the range tomorrow and try it out. Hope it makes a difference and thanks for everyones help.

tomme boy
03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Use the Privi ammoo as break in only. Not heard of many people that have had luck with it. Bought some of their bullets once for reloading. Never do that again. They were OK for blasting ammo but that was it.

Keep playing with the Savage. Some just take a little before they start to shoot.

Plus it is new to you, and you are not used to shooting it yet. I find this more of the problem with new guns, than the gun itself. Give it a little time.

nomo4me
03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Rear screw on the accustock only holds the trigger guard to the stock.

Blue Avenger
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Rear screw on the accustock only holds the trigger guard to the stock.
good thing he tightened the rear action screw then and not the rear screw ;)

jdon88
03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I did go to the range today and had much better results. More consistent and groups a little over 1.5" at 100 yds. Still plenty of room for improvement but I think the gun and scope are OK, the rest is up to me.