PDA

View Full Version : Factory barrel rechamber?

Con
05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Kind of a gunsmithing type question ... but can the Stevens 200 factory 25/06 barrels be 'shunted' and rethreaded/rechambered to 250Savage? I'm assuming not due to the narrow shank profile, but thought I'd ask before passing up a cheap barrel.
Cheers...
Con

Solothurn
05-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Probably, but it will most likely be less expensive to buy a Savage pre-fit barrel in .250 Savage and sell your .25-06 barrel.

Con
05-02-2014, 07:21 PM
No mate,
I'm in Australia and we're a terrorist state ... hence your freedom loving legislators have made the export of pre-fit barrels (and many other firearm related gear) a paperwork nightmare for businesses at your end. Midway USA even just ceased exporting to its 'franchises' overseas.
Cheers...
Con

emtrescue6
05-02-2014, 07:41 PM
There is no real reason why you shouldn't have enough room to do that...best thing to do is take it to a smith and have them tell you.

JASmith
05-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Of course one can always load the 25-06 to Savage velocities and save a bit of money and paperwork!

bootsmcguire
05-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Not enough shank to get it done. The narrow contour kind of prohibits it. You just might get lucky and have enough to do a rechamber to 250AI, but I think it would be close, if at all.

05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
your freedom loving legislators have made the export of pre-fit barrels (and many other firearm related gear) a paperwork nightmare for businesses at your end.

Probably ITAR (international) restrictions. :-(

Can you even get chamber reamers from here (US)?

J.Baker
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Not enough shank to get it done. The narrow contour kind of prohibits it. You just might get lucky and have enough to do a rechamber to 250AI, but I think it would be close, if at all.

Not even close

1) Savage factory barrels start tapering down right at the end of the shank threads, thus there's no room to set it back and add new threads as it's smaller in diameter.
2) You're wanting to go from a long-action cartridge to a short-action cartridge which would require significant set back to get a clean new chamber cut.

bootsmcguire
05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Not even close

1) Savage factory barrels start tapering down right at the end of the shank threads, thus there's no room to set it back and add new threads as it's smaller in diameter.
2) You're wanting to go from a long-action cartridge to a short-action cartridge which would require significant set back to get a clean new chamber cut.

Totally correct, I got the book out and checked. Jim is totally right, I spoke before I looked. Thanks for the correction Jim.

Con
05-04-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys,
Was pretty sure it was a no go.

And yes it's the ITARs playing merry havoc. Chambering reamers got held up about 12-18 months ago but it was sorted out pretty quickly, barrels are getting tougher to source and one importer here even got the run around bringing Lothar in as they (German regulators) didn't want gun parts on airplanes. Items under US$100 still come through unless a restricted item. Kind of handy that Boyd's stocks are generally below the US$100.
Cheers...
Con