PDA

View Full Version : Long Action 243

Sponxx
05-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Bought a used 110E in 243 with synthetic stock on another forum (pre-accutrigger and accustock). The seller got it in a trade and does not know much about it, however does not look like it has been shot much. After sighting in I got ~1-1.5MOA groups with factory ammo, so I am happy.
I want to bed it and will reload for it, so I expect some improvement. (not sure about pillar bedding cause I am chickening out :) )
However I was wondering about this long action for a short action cartridge. The mag box is small and the action has a metal lip on it. Does that mean that the gun is unable to be converted to a long action cartridge (eg .270, 7RM, .264) and I am "condemned" in my choice of next rebarrelling choices?

Thanks

bootsmcguire
05-02-2014, 07:05 PM
If you are willing to go to a single shot for the longer stuff then there is no reason not to. For a repeater you are stuck with the Short action stuff due to your mag box. You could have the bottom of the action machined to accept the regular or even the RUM length Long Action mags, but honestly I would just pick up another action rather than go through the hassle of machining.

Sponxx
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks, I was concerned that would be the case... I have a 7mmRM also in 110E, so it does work to keep 2 similar guns. I dont mind the short magazine, bit it does limit the possibilities of caliber changes and seating bullets long.