PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow night's pig hunt

Texas Solo
05-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I have a piece of property to hunt coyotes on. The land owner just bought up the property next door and asked if we could "please" come shoot some pigs.
Well twist my arm ! Checked it out this AM, it's clear where the pigs are coming on to the property. There's a good place to set up too, about 100 yd shot.
landowner says he sees the pigs about 2:30AM, almost daily. We plan on going in about midnight and waiting on them.
Then, about an hour before sunrise, we plan on going to the other property and hunting coyotes as the sun comes up. We've done real well on the yotes
in the early AM.
Only issue is that I only have a red light, no green lens for pigs. I've heard that a red light spooks them. No time to build a green lens right now, but we'll try it anyway.
This will also be a virgin hunt for my 11VT 308. I really hope to paste a pig to the ground with it.

jb6.5
05-01-2014, 08:36 PM
We use red and green lights for hogs, both work good. Good luck and watch the the wind, they can smell as good or better than a deer.

mikein
05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I hunt hog frequently here in Central Texas, and they will sometimes spook the first time a light hits them, regardless of the color. I use white, green and red, and have busted a bunch of them using all three colors. Aim your light, initially, above them, and slowly pull it down to where you can develop your sight picture. If you don't need to give them the "full lumens," don't do it; just enough to see where you want to shoot.

jb6.5
05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
I kill a lot of hogs here in ms. Every once in a while one will spook over a colored light, but not too often. Years ago I used a q beam q beam and sometimes didn't bother them at all, now days they've caught on to the game, they will to turn inside out when you hit em with a white light.

Texas Solo
05-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I had planned on shining the light to the sky and only coming down on them as much as necessary...as Mikein suggested. There will be two of us tonight, one on light, one on rifle, so it should be easy to do.
Will post a pic if this works out.

jb6.5
05-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Good luck!! Got this one last night with my 22 250

http://postimg.org/image/aniq6ughp/

bremereric
05-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Good time to have the $5000 inferred night vision. Good luck, I would love to hit them with my 204 Ruger.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-03-2014, 08:27 PM
So... How did it go???

Texas Solo
05-04-2014, 09:03 PM
So... How did it go???

Well, it was beautiful cool night under the stars, that's about it. We saw zero pigs all night. There is some property damage and sign that the pigs are occasionally there, but it's not as severe as we were told. Also, there were two pick up trucks that kept circling the property next door with spot lights until about 0200. That may have had something to do with our lack of success.

About 0600 we decided to hit another spot for coyotes. We were not there more than 15 minutes when a pair of yotes responded to the jack rabbit distress call. For some reason they were skiddish and never presented a shot. They didn't spook, but just didn't seem interested in our decoy offering long enough for a shot.

It was still time well spent with a good friend that I don't get too see that often.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Had plenty of nights like that myself. It's always better with a friend you to keep you company.