PDA

View Full Version : package scope bases and rings and general help

Pages : 1 [2]

Chrazy-Chris
05-28-2014, 11:46 PM
...This was the first time I've shot off sandbags. The recoil seemed rough compared to standing or a bipod. Any tips to reduce recoil off bags?....

I'm not a super experienced bench rest shooter but one tip I'd have is to make sure the butt pad is pressed firmly and consistently into your shoulder during each shot. You just don't want any slack between the butt pad and your shoulder which will cause the recoil to whack you instead of push you.

Ol' BW
05-29-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm not a super experienced bench rest shooter but one tip I'd have is to make sure the butt pad is pressed firmly and consistently into your shoulder during each shot. You just don't want any slack between the butt pad and your shoulder which will cause the recoil to whack you instead of push you.

Very sound advice. Consistency is key also.
My tip would be, don't bristle against the recoil, let it push you (not go limp like a dishrag, just don't fight against it) and let your body weight "roll with the push" so to speak. I have never shot off a bipod, but I assume the legs stay locked in a down position, so they may soak up a lot of recoil in the form of rearward thrust.

BW