PDA

View Full Version : 460 s&w in a savage 110 action

SAVAGE-NUT
05-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Hey folks I just wanted to let everyone know I'm currently in the process of building a 460 S&W Magnum on a 110 action.

I did the design and 3d modeling myself and I'm have my local gunsmith in Loudonville Ohio build it for me.

When it's complete I'll start posting Load data.

If any of you Savage shooters are familiar with the older 340 action in 22 hornet or 30-30 Winchester you may know that the chamber end had sort of a taper into the bolt face. I didn't know this when starting my project, but came up with a very similar solution for my 110 action.

As for loading data I'm hoping to achieve between 2500 & 2600 fps with the Hornady 200 grain Leverlution jacketed soft point, I won't know that until I start throwing lead across my sky screens of my chronograph. I also want to thank those who have commented.

mattri
05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Sounds interesting, what can you tell us about it so far?

bootsmcguire
05-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Please, by all means share your approach to this. I have been seriously pondering this exact idea and have a plan of attack, but sometimes other people have different perspectives.

SAVAGE-NUT
05-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Please, by all means share your approach to this. I have been seriously pondering this exact idea and have a plan of attack, but sometimes other people have different perspectives.Boots, I've placed a boss at the chamber end of the barrel to fit up inside the bolt face. On that boss I've got a 90 degree relief for the extractor to function properly. When I can
I'll post my rough sketch of how it goes together.

GaCop
05-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Looking forward to your update! Very interesting project.

bootsmcguire
05-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Boots, I've placed a boss at the chamber end of the barrel to fit up inside the bolt face. On that boss I've got a 90 degree relief for the extractor to function properly. When I can
I'll post my rough sketch of how it goes together.

Thanks, I would like to see that. I am 90% sure I know what direction you are headed and if its what I think It is most likely not far off (if any) from one of my proposed pans of attack.

My reason for wanting to undertake such a project is hunting. Here in Iowa we can hunt the regular shotgun season with either a slug-gun, a ML, or a pistol. The pistol must be chambered in one of their approved cartridges so my options are limited. Wanting to use my Striker as the base for this, I am limited to 45 Win Mag, 357 Maximum, 444 Marlin, or 460. I have a 450BM barrel that shoots great, but it is not an approved cartridge so I am stuck with one of those 4. The 45WM and 357Max are tough if not impossible to get brass right now and the 444 is a bit difficult as well. The 460 seems attainable and has similar energy and MV to the 444 and there seems to be a better selection of .452" bullets for hunting and I am already stocking bullets for my 450 so it just seems to be a logical choice.

Sorry for the slight derail of your thread, I just figured I would explain my interest. The 450BM is a better choice for the Savage platform, but can't use it when playing by the rules.

Back to topic:

SAVAGE-NUT
05-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Boots,

You didn't derail anything. I enjoy hearing any gun related stuff. If this project works out the way I'm pretty sure it will I'm going to build another similar one in 357 Maximum. I have to confess one thing I'm lazy and loading straight walled pistol cartridges is a little less involved than loading my bottle neck stuff. Just a little less case prep and gives me a few more practice rounds. This project will also allow me to hunt with a real rifle in Ohio for the first time ever.